Webserver Offline Issue on Proxmox

forellengarten

Nov 6, 2023
Hello,

I have Proxmox in the latest version with numerous VMs and LXC containers. Recently, I set up another LXC container (Debian 12 Bookworm, static IP) running a small web server with NGINX (latest version) hosting a static website (only accessible in the home network). Now, I'm facing an issue where the website is reachable, but it goes offline after several hours. Additionally, in the router (Fritzbox), I only find the MAC address of the web server displayed as "offline".

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. Sometimes the website appears online again (after LXC reboots), but then it disappears again. Where could the problem lie?

Additionally, another question has arisen. Static IP. How can I set the hostname? Apparently, the LXC name in Proxmox is also used as the hostname. However, I don't want that. I want the web server to have a different name on the network. I have unsuccessfully tried editing /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. The entries either get overwritten by Proxmox or the name doesn't show up in the Fritzbox. I have also unsuccessfully tried the command "hostnamectl set-hostname xyz". Can I persuade Proxmox not to overwrite this data?

Thank you for any assistance.

A touch /etc/.pve-ignore.hostname within the LXC should prevent PVE from tampering with the hostname file.

Last edited:
Reactions: forellengarten
A touch /etc/.pve-ignore.hostname within the LXC should prevent PVE from tampering with the hostname file.
"Thanks, that tip is worth its weight in gold, it works!"

Does anyone else have an idea why my website keeps going offline? I'm only moderately familiar with networking. What I notice is that in the router, the MAC address or IP address of the host only appears intermittently...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!