vzdump custom network - same as storage or migration?

Oct 21, 2009
Australia
Looking at migrating to 5.1 from an old 3.4 version.

Reading up on all the new features. One question regarding separate custom networks for storage, migration & cluster.

What network does vzdump operate on? The storage, migration or cluster networks?

I plan to have a bonded 10Gbit OVS bridge that I will use for VM VLANS, but am also interested in backing up via vzdump over this high speed interface (on same switch instead of going across subnets to NAS and bottlenecking through the router) while keeping the cluster and webui on a separate interface firewalled by the router.

But I'm unclear if that means I need to create a custom storage or migration network with intports in OVS?

Or is it not possible to choose which interface vzdump backs up on and it is tied to webgui or cluster network?

Thanks in advance.

vzdump has no separate network configuration.

for reading, it uses the same access as the VM or CT does
for writing, it just uses the directory storage as configured

if you dump to a network storage like NFS, make sure to put the vzdump tmp directory on a local disk (otherwise you might end up copying multiple times)

If you dump to a NFS storage, will the incoming IP address ti the NAS be from the webui or cluster network IP?

No way to choose what interface / bridge the backup task reaches out on? Goal is to have cluster/webui in separate firewalled subnet with own interface, but allow vzdump to NFS to use high speed 10Gbit interfaces.

vzdump is a locally running binary on the node where the backed up guest is located. so depending on your network and storage configuration, the route will be decided and the source IP is set accordingly. the webui is not a factor in that decision in any way

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!