vzdump backup fails [ERROR: Device 'drive-virtio0' not found]

philk1989

Oct 9, 2011
When trying to backup a particular VM I get this error:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 124 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress gzip --storage hinds-backup --node chelsea[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 124 (qemu)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: status = running[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: backup mode: snapshot[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: ionice priority: 7[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: creating archive '/mnt/pve/hinds-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-124-2013_08_19-10_27_08.vma.gz'[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]ERROR: Device 'drive-virtio0' not found[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: aborting backup job[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]ERROR: Backup of VM 124 failed - Device 'drive-virtio0' not found[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]INFO: Backup job finished with errors[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]TASK ERROR: job errors[/COLOR]

The log file in /var/log/vzdump/qemu-124.log shows the same thing as above.

Code:
root@chelsea:~# ls -lh /var/lib/vz/images/124/
total 23G
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33G Aug 19 10:31 vm-124-disk-1.qcow2

Code:
root@chelsea:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/124.conf 
boot: nc
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 1
cpu: kvm64
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: sin
net0: virtio=3A:01:9B:EE:B3:E3,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: l26
sockets: 2
virtio0: local:124/vm-124-disk-1.qcow2,size=32G

The last good backup of this VM happened on 2013-08-17. So the backup did succeed on that date. But not anytime after...

Code:
root@chelsea:/var/log/vzdump# pveversion 
pve-manager/2.3/7946f1f1

Anyone run into this before/know what is going on?

Code:
root@chelsea:~# qm monitor 124
Entering Qemu Monitor for VM 124 - type 'help' for help
qm> info block
drive-ide2: removable=1 locked=0 tray-open=0 io-status=ok [not inserted]
drive-sata0: removable=0 io-status=ok file=/var/lib/vz/images/124/vm-124-disk-1.qcow2 ro=0 drv=qcow2 encrypted=0 bps=0 bps_rd=0 bps_wr=0 iops=0 iops_rd=0 iops_wr=0
qm>

hmm... based on this output is it correct to assume that proxmox thinks the drive is a sata drive?

I assume you changed the drive from sata to virtio, but forgot to restart the VM afterwards.
Well even if that was the case, I just restarted the VM and no luck in backing it up. The stats from qm monitor are the same.

do you have done a stop/start ? (not reset)

This is what happens when I try to stop the vm.
Code:
Executing HA stop for VM 124
Local machine disabling pvevm:124...Could not connect to resource group manager
TASK ERROR: command 'clusvcadm -d pvevm:124' failed: exit code 1

Seems you cluster is not correctly working. Try to read the logs in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/cluster/*

So I found the problem... though nothing obvious in the logs that pointed to the problem. I had this particular VM setup for HA, without having HA setup correct. (My fault in misunderstanding how HA worked in proxmox.) I removed the VM from HA, activated the changes and was able to stop and start the VM. Though, I would still be curious as to why I was not able to backup the VM anymore, only because I had setup the VM for HA.

Thank you for your support in this dietmar. :)

Cheers,

Phil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!