[SOLVED] vzdump as non-root user possible?

FloFaber

Dec 16, 2022
Hello,

My ultimate goal is to vzdump a VM over SSH using a non-root user.

I have searched and tried for some time now but did not manage to find a working solution.

I have created a user named vzdumper via useradd and, for now, added him to the Administrator role.
However, when I login with this user and run vzdump 100 --mode snapshot --compress gzip I get the following error:
Code:
vzdumper@remoteserver:~# vzdump 104 --compress gzip
ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: Is a directory
ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: Is a directory
ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: Is a directory
Unable to load access control list: Is a directory

When I run the same command as root it works just fine.

I have also tried to to set read-permissions on /etc/pve/user.cfg because of the Unable to load access control list error. But that gives me just another error:
Code:
root@remoteserver /etc/pve# chmod 644 user.cfg
chmod: changing permissions of 'user.cfg': Operation not permitted

So my question is: Is it even possible to run vzdump as a normal, non-root user? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

no, it's not. you can call the equivalent API endpoint as API user though (the code will still run as root via pvedaemon though ;))

No, most of the command line tools are currently root only.

You could use programs like sudo or doas as a workaround.

No, most of the command line tools are currently root only.

You could use programs like sudo or doas as a workaround.
Yes, that was my next idea but I wondered if it was possible without it.

Alright, thank you very much.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!