VPS Hosting providers - why no zfs ?

Thanks @alexskysilk, I not interested in zfs only, I am more interested to know if local storage has to be used then which one is good ?
Looks like CoW fs is not good for faster nvmes and ssds.
ah. I imagine you already looked here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

the reason all these options exist is because they try to serve every kind of usecase. If your sole consideration is speed, then yes, lvm is probably your best bet. ZFS is usually the preferred method is NOT because its fastest, but because it is the best overall- it integrates both block and file functionality with fs aware checksums, fault tolerance, inline compression and deduplication (well, THAT requires a lot of resources,) snapshots, with full pve api integration. For virtualization its hard to compete with this featureset.

For virtualization its hard to compete with this featureset.

BTRFS ...unfortunately it's been bashed enough to make it so unappealing that people do not want to touch it and we call everything involving it a preview since 10 years.

BTRFS ...unfortunately it's been bashed enough to make it so unappealing that people do not want to touch it and we call everything involving it a preview since 10 years.
Thats an oversimplification. BTRFS has suffered from some showstopper bugs that no one wanted to fix, making most serious interested parties move on and leaving very few developers to continue the project. This is the nature of open source software- you can't MAKE someone take ownership and support the code on their own; you can either take over its development and maintenance (read: pay for or provide developers yourself) or use something else.

That said, it does work with PVE, and even supported by the api- but all things being equal I'd just use zfs as it is a lot more mature technology.

Thats an oversimplification. BTRFS has suffered from some showstopper bugs that no one wanted to fix, making most serious interested parties move on and leaving very few developers to continue the project. This is the nature of open source software- you can't MAKE someone take ownership and support the code on their own; you can either take over its development and maintenance (read: pay for or provide developers yourself) or use something else.
Fedora still installs on BTRFS by default.

That said, it does work with PVE, and even supported by the api- but all things being equal I'd just use zfs as it is a lot more mature technology.
Replication does not. Mature and obsolete is a fine line sometimes. ZFS was still catching up to BTRFS when it comes to snaphosts, for instance. MD/RAID is also mature. So is XFS on PERC.

But I really jsut wanted to point out, BTRFS was going to be the choice. LVM is the thing that should be dropped, it's a mess.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!