[SOLVED] Voting-only quorum node?

Odin5000

Jun 21, 2016
Hello all,

I'm looking at really tight rack, power, and network requirements for an upcoming PVE4.2 deploy. I got the idea that I could deploy a 3 node cluster (with shared storage) with 1 of the nodes only acting to vote in the quorum for HA. The idea being that I don't currently have enough room for a 3rd real node until a date months from now, but have to deploy the system now.

My idea is to use an Intel NUC as the 3rd node, but obviously I don't want any VMs to actually run from there. I'm just looking to satisfy PVE's 3-node requirement, which is a good requirement to have, I understand why it's there, I just need to work around it for now and accept the risk that comes with it.

So is this a design that will work? How can I set that node to not allow VM's to run from it, but still participate in the cluster? I realize the NUC has single power supply, single network jack, etc. However, the alternative is not enabling HA on the VM's, which I would very much like to do. If there is a better way to go about running this system now, I'm all ears.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Simply create a HA-group which only have the node members you want to have VM's running on. I am testing a setup currently where I use a Rasberry Pi as a quorum only node. Seems to work excellent so in due time I will make the howto public available.

Reactions: Odin5000
Thanks for your reply, Mir. I just looked up the HA Groups and it seems perfect. Reading up on it, I have a questions regarding this comment on the wiki:

"If you enable HA it's not possible to turnoff the VM inside the VM. Also, if it is disabled the VM will be stopped."

Does this mean that if I need to shut down a VM, I should stop the important services and then use the 'shutdown' command from the PVE UI?

Additionally, if I create VM's by just going to 'Create VM' in the upper-right hand corner of the UI, will they automatically be marked for HA? Or if I want to create a new VM should I do it from the HA > Add... page?

Again, thanks for your quick reply!

If you need to shutdown a VM simply disable HA for this VM. (See HA->Resources (Double-click the VM and set state to disabled))
No VM will automatically be HA enabled - you must add it for HA in the Datacenter HA tab.

Fantastic. Last question (swear) - even though I only have 2 nodes participating in the HA group, the quorum will still use 3 nodes in it's vote? So that means that the HA group and the nodes voting in the quorum are mutually exclusive factors?

My concern is running a 2-node HA group might fall into a scenario where 1 host fails, and the other host shuts itself down due to only having 1 vote available in the HA Group, but if the cluster quorum and HA Group are separate calculations entirely, I think this plan just might work!

quorum is formed over all nodes and has nothing to do with HA-groups. As long as 2 of the 3 nodes is alive, regardless of HA-group member or not, you have quorum and VMs will be running on either of the HA-group members which is available at any given time.

Thank you very much, Mir. You've been supremely helpful, 'liked' 'liked' and 'liked'!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!