VNC Client Access Flicker

djjb85

Mar 26, 2023
Hello all,

Not one to post often to forums for tech help but I am at a loss and banging my head up against it here.

Latest proxmox installed fresh. Tested proxmox before but wanting to set up in home lab. System is AMD 5700g, 64gb memory, all was working and running fine briefly as a test system for TrueNAS Scale.

VMs and Containers set up just fine. ZFS pool running well. Problem is after setting up latest LTS Xubuntu, then followed the VNC Client Access recommendations (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VNC_Client_Access) to use as a workstation with tightvnc. I can connect with tightvnc but flicker is insane. Tried differenty display settings on both tightvnc and prox. Tried default, standard, and spice display types. Spun up Guacamole in a container just to see if it was just tightvnc. When trying to connect with VNC on Guac it just shutdown the vm instead of letting it flicker. Tried installing xrdp installing that way and still would shut down vm in Guac. Could have botched any of this at some point as i have been chipping away at this off and on for like two weeks.

Searched forums here and elsewhere but hard to narrow down vnc/client access/flicker to find any answers. I would appreciate any help.

-JB

Attachments

• shrunkgif.gif
    shrunkgif.gif
    969.1 KB · Views: 12
Sorry, meant to add that VNC works fine in proxmox console. Never had a problem there.

Tried now different bios, different versions of xubuntu, different display types, different vnc ports, and I cannot stop this flicker issue. Will try a different OS now. Windows works fine with RDP. Tried xrdp and could not get it to function. Any help or really any guidance at all would be appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!