[SOLVED] VMs and 3D software

Inglebard

May 20, 2016
Hi,

Il would like to have windows VM(s ?) to use a 3d software (CAD/CAM software).
To work properly it needs GPU computing.

If I understand well I need PCI passthrought, right ?

However, I don't understand why there are two different wiki : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough , https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough .

Then there is something I am not sure to understand :

If you want to use the GPU as a hardware accelerator, for example, for programs using OpenCL or CUDA, this is not required.

So If I need CUDA, what should I do ? And If I need Opengl/vulkan or Directx what should I do ?

If I understand well I need PCI passthrought, right ?
yes, the only other method (atm) to get some 3d is to use qxl/spice but this renders all on the cpu (so will not be very fast)

is part of the official reference documentation

and

is the older mainly user maintained wiki article

both contain useful infos (altough the second link may be outdated in some parts)

If you want to use the GPU as a hardware accelerator, for example, for programs using OpenCL or CUDA, this is not required.
this is meant as an addition for
When passing through a whole GPU or a vGPU and graphic output is wanted, one has to either physically connect a monitor to the card, or configure a remote desktop software (for example, VNC or RDP) inside the guest.

what is meant is that if you pass through a gpu that you want to use only for compute (e.g. opencl in blender)
you do not have to set the passed through gpu as primary or connect a monitor to it

you can then also have a virtual gpu and use the standard novnc webinterface to connect but use the gpu for opencl/cuda/etc...

if some program needs opengl acceleration for displaying the application itself (e.g. a game), you will need to use the passed through gpu as primary and use it via a directly connected monitor (or rdp server in the guest)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!