VM won't start

martinlegion

Nov 30, 2011
Hello.
Today I found one of my VMs (Windows 2003) had stopped, and when I wanted to start it again it wouldn't work. After one second it stopped again.
I have proggramed a daily backup so I have an image 24hs old, so no big harm done, but I wanto to know what and why it happened, and what can I do to avoid it in the future.

Question 1: Can I run any diagnostics on the VM to see what might be wrong?
Question 2: When I try to start the VM I don't get any error on the web admin. Where can I look for some output that could give me some clue?
Question 3: I think the automated backup might have caused the problem. I use snapshot mode and save the backups in a different hd. The daily backup proggramed for 1:30 am today failed (I mean, the backup was not created, and I didn't recieve the report by email as usual), so the problem might have happened between yesterday night and 1:30 today, or at 1:30, caused by the backup itself.

I am running Proxmox 1.9

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I just found the log I was lookinig for and comfirmed some of my suspicions:

/usr/sbin/qm start 101
VM is locked (backup)
VM 101 start failed -

So it was locked by the backup, right?
What I don't get is why it keep locked after rebooting the proxmox server. Is there a way to unlock it?

Thanks

qm unlock 101

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!