[SOLVED] VM Win 11 Wireshark is not working.

dgullett

Dec 27, 2023
I have a customer requirement to provide a Windows 11 VM with 2 NICS. The first NIC is a Static IP for RDP, and the 2nd NIC is to Capture Packets from a switch. My customer does not have access to the Proxmox Host, only the guests.
Win 11 VM
- NIC 1 is vmbr4 and is dedicated to Cisco Switch Port 41 (Mgmt Port)
- NIC 2 is vmbr5 and is dedicated to Cisco Switch Port 42 (Switch Monitoring Port)
Everything works fine if I plug a physical Windows 11 computer into ports 41 and 42.

All I get from vmbr5 are STP packets.

So, how do I get vmbr5 to see/collect the packets?

I found the answer/statement in the post https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/promiscuous-mode-for-vm.84239/

My Summary:
The Linux Bridge is a switch, so it manages layer 2 (MAC) just like a switch, so only broadcast would be delivered to the VM NIC unless the traffic (frames) were intended for this NIC. So, my vmbr032 interface needed to be in "promiscuous mode." In order to do this, you have to add a line to this interface <bridge_ageing 0> see below in bold. Always take note at the top of /etc/network/interfaces "be careful."

nano /etc/network/interfaces

# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto vmbr032
iface vmbr032 inet manual
bridge-ports enp12s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge_ageing 0
#N3-P2-200-U-V4000-Red

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!