vm to template to vm conversion

aristosv

Mar 3, 2018
I'm coming from years working on a vmware environment so excuse the ignorance.

On proxmox 5.1-41, I created a Debian machine and converted it to template. Now I want to convert it back to a normal VM, to patch it and convert it back to template again.

After reading around I found that this is not possible, and the only way to do this, is to clone the template to vm, patch it, and convert the clone to template again.

On vmware, template patching is something we do at least every 2 months and this is the process we follow. Convert template to vm, patch, convert to template again.

So you can understand why this seems so strange to me. Not to have the flexibility to go from template to vm.

Is there any way of converting a template to vm, without having to clone it? Even a manual way? Maybe edit the vm's file (vmx for vmware)?

Don't convert it to a template in the first place :-D I do this with windows VM templates all the time. They need a lot of patching, additional cleanup and zeroing the free space.

All Linux-based VMs are created on via automatic network installation and are then equipped with the newest patches and company settings, so no need to update them.

Well yeah. If I had known I can't go back to vm, I would never had converter it to template. Question is, what do I do now? Is there any way to go back to vm?

Reactions: dcsapak
This is no longer working as of 3/20/24 PVE8.1.4
Just tested with PVE 8.1.5 and still works like it should. What did you exactly do? I just removed - as described the line template: 1 from the VM configuration file and after a few seconds the VM was converted back to non-template version in the PVE GUI.

Better still, change line to read template: 0 to turn template off and revert back to VM :)

Last edited:
Work as expected in PVE 8.1.10 with cluster and HA as well. It took about ~30 seconds for the state to propagate through the cluster, but otherwise, worked as expected.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!