VM shows half the disk space specified during creation

BNexus

Aug 18, 2020
All my VMs allow only half the disk space that I specify during VM creation. The disk size is shown properly in hardware tab, but when I actually check in the VM, it shows half the disk space. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Some more information would be usefull.
For example what type of storage, raid, filesystems and so on your are using.
And what commands you use to check the disk space and what exactly the output is.

Proxmox Host:
2 x 1.2TB SAS, RAID 1

VM:
SCSI using local-lvm thin provisioning, default settings otherwise

I will note that I only started having this issue with I set up RAID 1 and reinstalled Proxmox. This install was markedly different from the last one, likely because I did this one manually from Proxmox ISO and the last one was a scripted install. There is a local disk of 100GB set up, and the rest of the space on the Proxmox host is local-lvm (LVM-thin). Last install, everything was kept on local.

Here is output of df -h and fdisk -l

1623561709912.png

Obviously I can expand my LV but is there a way to set it up to automatically use full available disk space? This isn't the only VM this occurs on.

Last edited:
how do you install the guests in the vm?

how the guest partitions the disk is not really something that can be influenced from outside...

how do you install the guests in the vm?

how the guest partitions the disk is not really something that can be influenced from outside...

We actually discovered that during Ubuntu install, the default part was only using half available space, which is new for both me and my client. We fixed it by resizing and I will note it for any future Ubuntu installs.

Thank you.

Hello, noob here
The aim for my brand new proxmox is to run a few smallish dockers, such as jellyfin et-al. Learned the hard longwinded way that the praised PM containers cannot mount external NAS drives for use with data, only for it's internal use. Bummer.
Ok, so installed the much larger Ubuntu server 22.04 in the VM and things are running better and mounting of NAS data possible. However, I'm running out of space for the VM.
The created VM storage was created and reported to be 250GB. However, the actual space in the VM environment (df -h) is around 100GB.
I have tried resizing the VM disk but it does not change the result.
Is this a limitation in Proxmox, the OS or am I missing something? Suggestions of OS to run my dockers with? -I mainly have debian experience.
Thanks

The aim for my brand new proxmox is to run a few smallish dockers, such as jellyfin et-al. Learned the hard longwinded way that the praised PM containers cannot mount external NAS drives for use with data, only for it's internal use. Bummer.
They can. But only the less secure privileged LXCs and not the unprivileged ones. And those aren't great in case you plan to make your services public, like when wanting to access your jellyfin on the go without using a VPN. And running docker in a LXC is error-prone anyway.

The created VM storage was created and reported to be 250GB. However, the actual space in the VM environment (df -h) is around 100GB.
I have tried resizing the VM disk but it does not change the result.
Thats because you have chosen the standards when installing Ubuntu. By default the Ubuntu installer won't use the whole disk. You have to tell it when installing to make use of all the space.
And increasing the size of the virtual disk won't make your filesystem larger. Thats like replaying a physical 1TB with a 2TB disk and cloning its contents. The filesystem will still be 1TB wth 1TB unallocated.
You will have to manually extend the filesystem to make use of all the unallocated space. You maybe also have to extend the VG and LVs in case you are using LVM. Easiest probably would be to boot a gparted ISO in that VM and use it for extending your partitions, VGs, LVs and filesystems.
Suggestions of OS to run my dockers with? -I mainly have debian experience.
Ubuntu is a good choice. Debian will work too, but you might miss some docker features as Debian is always a bit behind.

Last edited:
I've meant missing features like fewer storage drivers available when using Debian, because its kernel is usually behind and those then require a recent one.

Edit:
Looks like it is not a big problem now, but I remember needing to use "fuse-overlayfs" instead of "overlay2" when using rootless docker on some older Debians.
Only the following storage drivers are supported:
  • overlay2 (only if running with kernel 5.11 or later, or Ubuntu-flavored kernel)
  • fuse-overlayfs (only if running with kernel 4.18 or later, and fuse-overlayfs is installed)

Last edited:
Reactions: UdoB
They can. But only the less secure privileged LXCs and not the unprivileged ones. And those aren't great in case you plan to make your services public, like when wanting to access your jellyfin on the go without using a VPN. And running docker in a LXC is error-prone anyway.

Thats because you have chosen the standards when installing Ubuntu. By default the Ubuntu installer won't use the whole disk. You have to tell it when installing to make use of all the space.
And increasing the size of the virtual disk won't make your filesystem larger. Thats like replaying a physical 1TB with a 2TB disk and cloning its contents. The filesystem will still be 1TB wth 1TB unallocated.
You will have to manually extend the filesystem to make use of all the unallocated space. You maybe also have to extend the VG and LVs in case you are using LVM. Easiest probably would be to boot a gparted ISO in that VM and use it for extending your partitions, VGs, LVs and filesystems.

Ubuntu is a good choice. Debian will work too, but you might miss some docker features as Debian is always a bit behind.
Excellent reply! Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!