vm restore - latest version from backup?

Sep 26, 2023
I have a remote site where I test/validate backups of my vm's.
Backups and replication is done frequently.

For DR testing I would need to restore the vm, adjust any settings needed - power up - test - shutdown if not needed. rinse and repeat as needed.

The question I have is this -

1. I want to do a test on Monday. I previously have restored the vm image and tested it with 'that' data. If I restore the same vm - over the existing vm, what will the data be in that server? Will the data be from the 'date' I selected previously, or is overwritten by the different vm-date file I chose? Will the restore process take as long since it is a 'full overwrite' or will it only restore the changed files from my incremental backed up data - to the file I chose. For instance - I have restored the files from 2/2. It still exists, as a powered off server on my remote site. If I choose to restore/overwrite the same vm - from the date of 2/15 - will the whole file be overwritten, or only the changes made since 2/2 to 2/15?

I have a remote site where I test/validate backups of my vm's.
Backups and replication is done frequently.

For DR testing I would need to restore the vm, adjust any settings needed - power up - test - shutdown if not needed. rinse and repeat as needed.

The question I have is this -

1. I want to do a test on Monday. I previously have restored the vm image and tested it with 'that' data. If I restore the same vm - over the existing vm, what will the data be in that server? Will the data be from the 'date' I selected previously, or is overwritten by the different vm-date file I chose? Will the restore process take as long since it is a 'full overwrite' or will it only restore the changed files from my incremental backed up data - to the file I chose. For instance - I have restored the files from 2/2. It still exists, as a powered off server on my remote site. If I choose to restore/overwrite the same vm - from the date of 2/15 - will the whole file be overwritten, or only the changes made since 2/2 to 2/15?
VM restores are full restores and will overwrite the previously restored VM. It will provide the same result as deleting the previous restore and then doing the new restore.

The restore will take the full amount of time as all the data is restored.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!