VM Pfsense and upgrade cluster

frankz

Nov 16, 2020
Hi everyone, before proceeding on the cluster in production, I upgraded from 7 to 8 on a test environment. Everything is ok .

I only have a doubt about the upgrade in production, that is, in the node where I will have to upgrade, I have my pfsense firewall as a VM, therefore necessary for internet connections. I was asking, if I upgrade by turning off all the VMs, but leaving only the one that is essential for the internet connection, do I gamble or not?

Thank you

u have a cluster, so u can move the vms from the one u will upgrade

Hi everyone, before proceeding on the cluster in production, I upgraded from 7 to 8 on a test environment. Everything is ok .

I only have a doubt about the upgrade in production, that is, in the node where I will have to upgrade, I have my pfsense firewall as a VM, therefore necessary for internet connections. I was asking, if I upgrade by turning off all the VMs, but leaving only the one that is essential for the internet connection, do I gamble or not?

Thank you
For this reason, you can setup opn/pfsense HA :cool:

You think it's maybe not helpful short-term, but you will thank me later when no matter what you do or happens, you will always have Internet connection.

And yes, ha works with DSL/pppoe connections, it works with different nic brands, it works even with interfaces that are available on one pf/opnsense while not on the other...
Just the "opt" names needs to be assigned to the correct nics, that provide your vlans.

As pf/opnsense does only sync the "opt" names and it doesn't matter what nics are behind that names...

So do yourself a favor for the future.
Cheers :)

Reactions: frankz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!