VM Migration in cluster with local ZFS

tjk

May 3, 2021
I have a a multi node cluster, each node has identical disks setup and a zfs sr on each node called tank. When I migrate a VM from node 1 to node 2, it leaves the disk on the tank pool on node 1, when I migrate the vm back to node 1 it creates another disk on node 1.

There is no option to delete source disk in the gui when I select live migration of the vm from node 1 to node 2.

Not sure if this is normal behavior or not, sounds like it isn't.

Tom

Not sure if this is normal behavior or not, sounds like it isn't.
ZFS is no clustered filesystem and therefore PVE will not take care of your stuff. There is proper ZFS support with VM-replication in a two-node cluster, but that does not properly scale to more than 2 nodes.

If you want a proper cluster, please use CEPH, which is fully integrated and the right technology for a cluster.

Thanks @LnxBil but that didn't answer my question. I'm aware of proper clustering, I have some clusters with 20+ nodes in them.

This is a special use case for a single VM where I just want to have a 2nd copy on another node on a regular basis. Migration of the VM from node to node creates another vmdisk and doesn't clean up after it moves it off of the one node.

Hi,
no, it's not normal behavior. Please share the output of pveversion -v, the VM configuration qm config <ID>, the storage configuration cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg and the migration task log.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!