VM IO hickup when restarting ceph osds

mohnewald

Aug 21, 2018
Hello,

i run proxmox with ceph. When doing maintance (like Updates, changes on the network, etc..) i somtimes need to restart the OSDs.

There are no VMs on the Node where i do the Maintance.

I think i read somewhere, that when you have replica/size 3, one file/block(?) is always the primary one which gets accessed for write/read.

Now if the primary one is on the OSD i restart, IO will hang until its back up or until it switches to the placement on the other OSD, correct so far?

This gives me some sort of IO hickup on my VMs, where virtio (vdX) does not seem to care, but older VMs with sdX devices seem not to like it at all. They show IO errors in dmesg.

Any hints on this?

Use the following to put it in "maintance mode":

ceph osd set noout
ceph osd set nobackfill
ceph osd set norecover

Cheers,
Michael

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!