VM don't have internet access

1stDayPVE

Feb 4, 2024
Hello everybody,

First, as my name suggest, I'd like to say that I'm new with Proxmox in general (even tho I watched countless videos on YT before getting in).
Also, I know this issue has been posted many times, but I clearly can't figure out what I'm missing here.

I just installed PVE on an AMD miniPC (Ryzen 7 5700U / 32Gb RAM / 250Go SSD / 500Mo NVME).
This box sits behind a PFSense firewall that is working fine (apparently).

The first VM I created was a Debian netinstall on wich I installed TVHeadEnd on top of it.
Works like a charm (the same setup was on a Rpi before), it's so easy to manage now and faster I'm already in love with Proxmox.

Then, I was going to try a new VM to install HomeAssistant.
Following some guides, I manage to make the VM boot properly HAOS.

But, during the process, I noticed HAOS couldn't install due to some connection problem "no supervisor internet connection"

Code:
network info
docker :
    address: 172.30.32.0/23
    dns: 172.30.32.3
    garteway: 172.30.32.1
    interface: hassio
host_internet: false
interfaces:
    connected: true
    enables: true
    interface: enp0s18
    ipv4:
        address:
            10.0.0.50/24
        gateway: 10.0.0.1
        method: auto
        namesservers:
        ready: true
    ipv6:
        address:
            fe80::zb5f:91cdf:5846:ed5c/64
        gateway; null
        method: auto
        nameservers: []
        ready: false
    mac: BC:11:24:32:0E:E7
    primary: true
    typer: ethernet
    vlan: null
    wifi: null
supervisor_internet: false

As I couldn't fix the issue, I gave up and tried to install another VM (debian 12 netinstall).

But, this time, I couldn't even finish the installation of the VM as at the end of the installation, debian is not able to reach repos from the netinstall ISO.
What I don't understand is it worked with that same ISO for the installation of TVHeadEnd (2 days ago).

So, there is definitly an issue with my network configuration :(.
I think it's not from my PFsense box as I've added a rule to allow Proxmox and VMs to access everything.
Also, by the way, internet is working fine on my proxmox box as I manage to run updates without any issue.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface enp4s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.20/24
        gateway 10.0.0.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface wlp3s0 inet manual

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

As you can see, my proxmox box is set to 10.0.0.20/24.
And my VM can go from 10.0.0.30/24 to 10.0.0.50/24 (assigned by DHCP by my PFSense box).

Of course, I've red the Network configuration page on the WIKI but I'm not sure how I should configure it (default with bridge, routed or Masquerading).
And also how to configure it in my case (I would really still want my PFsense box to assign IPs to my VMs).

Sorry again if this has already been asked, but everything I try doesn't work at the moment ;(.
Thanks a lot in advance and do not hesitate if I missed some important configuration file.

Same issue here on a machine with 10gigabit networking on a 1gigabit switch. I will attempt a reinstall of ProxMox before I open a support request with ProxMox. I am on a paid subscription... This is my fourth ProxMox server. I have 2 others in the server room that work without issue, and one at home that works without issue.

VM's know they are on a network, but cannot communicate with anything beyond the host. I can ping the host from a Debian container. I cannot ping anything else on the network. From the host I can ping everything on the network.

I inherited this network and every now and then I run into some weirdness... turns out Cisco Port Security was enabled on the port I had used for this server. After disabling port security I am able to use the bridge successfully. Everything is working. I just needed time to actually look at the configuration here :)

Check the same type of thing on your own servers. If you can ping the host from the guest, and ping the guest from the host...but the guest cannot ping the gateway, it is possible that you are blocking that traffic elsewhere. Mine was port-security on our managed switch.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!