[SOLVED] VM disappeared from webui after removing server from cluster

pier

Sep 12, 2019
Hi,

I am in a bit of a situation now, I tried to remove my only server from a one server only cluster, and after achieveing the process all VM's have disapeared from the web UI, I understand I did not do the right thing, so for now i am just looking for a way to restore running vm/lxc to the webUI in order to be able to manage them.

Is there any way of recovering disapeared vm/lxc from web ui as they are still running ?

thank you

[edit] : I did not follow the official guide to get rid of the existing cluster, I know it is bad, and I have no excuses for this, although the situation was kind of complicated, it is now getting worse, of course....

Last edited:
How you removed the node from the cluster?

Still you can do the PVE commands e.g:
Code:
qm list
pct list

Do you see the/etc/pve path?

check the config of the VMs

Code:
/etc/pve/nodes/{nodename}/qemu-server/

and for LXC's

Code:
/etc/pve/nodes/{NodeName}/lxc/105.conf

Hi Moayad,

Thanks for the wuick reply, I removed the cluster by following this : https://blog.zwindler.fr/2017/09/19/tutoriel-demonter-proprement-cluster-proxmox-ve/
My cluster was initially composed of 2 server, I removed the first one, then the last one to get 2 standalone servers, bad idea....

Unfortunately all conf from /etc/pve/{NodeName}/{lxc|qemu-server}/ are gone, otherwise that'd be quite easy ...

My VM are still running, I can reach'em, but they are just not visible from the webui.

/etc/pve is mounted :
Code:
root@debian-01:/var/lib/vz/images# ll /etc/pve/
total 3
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  451 Aug 11 15:02 authkey.pub
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 ha
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 local -> nodes/debian-01
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 lxc -> nodes/debian-01/lxc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 nodes
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 openvz -> nodes/debian-01/openvz
drwx------ 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 priv
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 2074 Aug 11 15:02 pve-root-ca.pem
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 1675 Aug 11 15:02 pve-www.key
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 qemu-server -> nodes/debian-01/qemu-server
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 sdn
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  170 Aug 11 15:05 storage.cfg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 virtual-guest
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  119 Aug 11 15:02 vzdump.cron

qm list and pct list does not print anything, as the config files are gone.

Any way to retrieve conf ig file from the running lxc/qemu ? Or any other way to get the vm/container back in the web ui ?

[EDIT]
I managed to recover lost vm using a (dunno from where it comes but thanks for that !) list and config files from the first node I removed from the cluster... This was a life saver.

Lesson learned (I'm 42 yo, I should really learn from my errors ...)

Thanks again for your support

Last edited:
Reactions: safe.solution
Hi Moayad,

Thanks for the wuick reply, I removed the cluster by following this : https://blog.zwindler.fr/2017/09/19/tutoriel-demonter-proprement-cluster-proxmox-ve/
My cluster was initially composed of 2 server, I removed the first one, then the last one to get 2 standalone servers, bad idea....

Unfortunately all conf from /etc/pve/{NodeName}/{lxc|qemu-server}/ are gone, otherwise that'd be quite easy ...

My VM are still running, I can reach'em, but they are just not visible from the webui.

/etc/pve is mounted :
Code:
root@debian-01:/var/lib/vz/images# ll /etc/pve/
total 3
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  451 Aug 11 15:02 authkey.pub
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 ha
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 local -> nodes/debian-01
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 lxc -> nodes/debian-01/lxc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 nodes
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 openvz -> nodes/debian-01/openvz
drwx------ 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 priv
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 2074 Aug 11 15:02 pve-root-ca.pem
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data 1675 Aug 11 15:02 pve-www.key
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root www-data    0 Jan  1  1970 qemu-server -> nodes/debian-01/qemu-server
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 sdn
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  170 Aug 11 15:05 storage.cfg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root www-data    0 Aug 11 15:02 virtual-guest
-rw-r----- 1 root www-data  119 Aug 11 15:02 vzdump.cron

qm list and pct list does not print anything, as the config files are gone.

Any way to retrieve conf ig file from the running lxc/qemu ? Or any other way to get the vm/container back in the web ui ?

[EDIT]
I managed to recover lost vm using a (dunno from where it comes but thanks for that !) list and config files from the first node I removed from the cluster... This was a life saver.

Lesson learned (I'm 42 yo, I should really learn from my errors ...)

Thanks again for your support
Hello! I see that you solved the problem, can you post the solution how you fixed it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!