VM: 403 Permission check failed (/nodes/pve2, Sys.Audit)

Brons_n

Aug 3, 2022
Hello there, I'm trying to use Packer to setup an Ubuntu template in Proxmox but I keep getting this error: VM: 403 Permission check failed (/nodes/pve2, Sys.Audit).
I'm using an API token and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. Below are the permissions the token has, please help.

1659517854994.png

is the token privilege separated? could you check the output of pveum user permissions FULL_TOKEN_ID?

is the token privilege separated? could you check the output of pveum user permissions FULL_TOKEN_ID?
Hello. Yes, the token is privilege seperated.
Also where can I run the command above? I'm sort of new to this.

on a shell. but the same information is also available on the GUI, if you select the token (Datacenter -> Permissions -> API Tokens) and then click the "Show Permissions" button.

on a shell. but the same information is also available on the GUI, if you select the token (Datacenter -> Permissions -> API Tokens) and then click the "Show Permissions" button.
Ok, got it. Here are the results. I can see the Sys.Audit permission under the nodes/pve2 section. Here's the image:
1659521080214.png

can you double check that this is actually the token used for the request? can you dump the full request and response or extract it from a log somewhere (censor any sensitive parts like the token secret)..

can you double check that this is actually the token used for the request? can you dump the full request and response or extract it from a log somewhere (censor any sensitive parts like the token secret)..
Yes, I just double checked that the token is the correct one because it's the only one that exists. Other than that Packer gives this full error:

Error creating VM: error creating VM: 403 Permission check failed (/nodes/pve2, Sys.Audit), error status: (params: map[agent:1 args: boot:c cores:1 cpu:kvm64 description;Packer ephemeral build VM hotplug: ide2:local:iso/ubuntu-20.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso,media=cdrom kvm:true machine: memory:512 name:crane-cis-w2 net0:virtio=2A:EF:77:F6:3C:8B,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=false numa:false onboot:false ostype;other scsihw:virtio-scsi-pci sockets:1 tablet:false tags: virtio0:zfs-raid-1:20,format=raw,iothread=false vmid:107])

Lastly, I'm not sure how I can get the logs maybe you can help me but when I checked the permissions of the user that shows up under the tasks window when the virtual machine is created. I noticed that they do not have the Sys.Audit permission. Does the user the token is created for need to have the privileges as well?
1659522140519.png

1659522327363.png

Last edited:
which version are you on? (pveversion -v)

and yes, for a privilege-separated token the user and the token need to have a privilege on a path for it to be effective (but there was a display bug in older versions)

which version are you on? (pveversion -v)

and yes, for a privilege-separated token the user and the token need to have a privilege on a path for it to be effective (but there was a display bug in older versions)
This is what I can see from the interface. I've tried to run a console but it doesn't seem to connect.
1659524774682.png
Does this help with the version?

you can try adding the corresponding user ACL - but please note that PVE 6.x is EOL since last week, so an upgrade to the still supported 7.x release series is required to receive both this and any other future bug fixes.

you can try adding the corresponding user ACL - but please note that PVE 6.x is EOL since last week, so an upgrade to the still supported 7.x release series is required to receive both this and any other future bug fixes.
Hello, I also faced the described issue in this topic with Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.2-11. I created a new PVE web-user using the GUI and added a token to the user. Assigning only ACL "Administrator" to the token resulted in errors as described in this topic and this is shown below.
Adding both ACL for user AND the token allows token ACL to work properly. Not sure if this is intended behavior? :rolleyes:

Trying to access PVE-node status with only ACL on Token
Code:
$ https --verify=no -v 172.20.1.2:8006/api2/json/nodes/pve/status authorization:"PVEAPIToken=automation@pve!packer-terraform=random-guid-here"
GET /api2/json/nodes/pve/status HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Host: 172.20.1.2:8006
User-Agent: HTTPie/3.2.1
authorization: PVEAPIToken=automation@pve!packer-terraform=random-guid-here

HTTP/1.1 403 Permission check failed (/nodes/pve, Sys.Audit)
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Connection: close
Content-Length: 13
Content-Type: application/json;charset=UTF-8
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:38:38 GMT
Expires: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:38:38 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Server: pve-api-daemon/3.0

{
    "data": null
}
1666957498827.png
1666957601858.png

yes, this is intentional and documented ;) https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveum.html#pveum_tokens

there are tokens that get all the privileges of the user (with no way of restricting further) and tokens that get no privileges by default, but can get any privilege within the boundaries of those of the user (so for example, an Administrator user can create a token with only Auditor privileges, or Administrator privileges but only on some paths not everywhere the user itself has them, etc.pp.).

Reactions: cakeoats
Had the same issue with packer and did as @cakeoats mentioned, giving permissions to both the user and the API token and it passed the 403 error.
Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!