Vlans Tags inside VM not possible without VLAN AWARE bridge?

felipe

Oct 28, 2013
HI,

i tried to tag a VLAN inside a VM. But it seems there is no communication possible with other vms which have the VLAN tagged on the network interface on proxmox side (VM)
So is it only possibly to tag VLANS inside VMS and communivate with other VMS with VLAN tagged on the proxmox interaface with VLAN AWARE bridges?

I changed away from VLAN AWARE as i had problems with dropped packages with over mtu1500. There is a bug that the packages are not reasambled. With not VLAN AWARE it works without a problem.

Thank you

So is it only possibly to tag VLANS inside VMS and communivate with other VMS with VLAN tagged on the proxmox interaface with VLAN AWARE bridges?
yes, that's why they are called "vlan-aware". Classic bridge are simpling dropping vlan headers in ethernet frame.

About packets fragmented reassembly, do you use proxmox firewall ? because it's dropping fragmented packets.
I'm not aware of a bug with vlan-aware and fragment dropping.

(anyway, You really shouldn't have fragmented packets in your network, this really a bad practice)

HI,

i tried to tag a VLAN inside a VM. But it seems there is no communication possible with other vms which have the VLAN tagged on the network interface on proxmox side (VM)

I changed away from VLAN AWARE as i had problems with dropped packages with over mtu1500. There is a bug that the packages are not reasambled. With not VLAN AWARE it works without a problem.

Thank you
Going with greater than standard mtu1500 brings a number of potential issues that can be hard to trace. Could be misconfig in proxmox host, VM/LXC, Switch, or any other device from end to end of that network transmission. other than for dedicated storage only network jumbo frames are often not worth the problems.

yes, that's why they are called "vlan-aware". Classic bridge are simpling dropping vlan headers in ethernet frame.

About packets fragmented reassembly, do you use proxmox firewall ? because it's dropping fragmented packets.
I'm not aware of a bug with vlan-aware and fragment dropping.

(anyway, You really shouldn't have fragmented packets in your network, this really a bad practice)
yes when we use the proxmox firewall we get the packet drops. but only when we also use vlan aware bridges. strange thing was that we did not have big troubles in general just one client who did sip calls with where the packages where fragemented going out of the vm allready and then got dropped. but its 100% reproducible ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!