VLAN Tags not "tagging" on Proxmox 8 with a PFSense appliance.

xchido

May 4, 2024
It was all fun and games until I decided to get more serious and section out my lab. I am creating a Linux lab and a Windows lab each on its own network.

I got all setting working (i thought they were working) but nothing seems to allow windows/linux devices get new ips assigned corresponding to their own VLANs.

Any device linux or windows is stuck at the default LAN 10.35.10.0/24 and will not move over to their new one.

This is what my /etc/network/interfaces looks like: ( it shows some of the settings [commented out] that I tried)

Code:
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

#DefaultLAN
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.35.10.5/24
        gateway 10.35.10.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

#VLAN20-10.35.20.0/24
auto vmbr0.20
iface vmbr0.20 inet manual
        address 10.35.20.4/24

#auto vmbr1
#iface vmbr1 inet static
#       address 10.35.20.3/24
#       bridge-ports none
#       bridge-stp off
#       bridge-fd 0
#       bridge-vlan-aware yes
#       bridge-vids 2-4094
#       mtu 1475
#WinLabLAN

#auto vmbr1.20
#iface vmbr1.20 inet manual
#       mtu 1450
#       ddress 10.35.10.4/24
#WinLabLAN

#auto vmbr2
#iface vmbr2 inet static
#       address 10.35.30.1/25
#       bridge-ports eno2
#       bridge-stp off
#       bridge-fd 0
#       bridge-vlan-aware yes
#       bridge-vids 2-4094
#       mtu 1450
#LinuxLabLAN

#auto vmbr2.30
#iface vmbr2.30 inet manual
#       mtu 1425
#       ddress 10.35.30.1/24
#LinuxLabLAN

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

I've created the corresponding VLANs in my PFSense box with tagging and DHCP activated for each.

Attached are my proxmox and pfsense settings.

promoxnet.JPG
pfsensenet.JPG
pfsensenet2.JPG
pfsensenet3.JPG
pfsensenet4.JPG

What network interfaces have you created for the pfSense VM in the hardware settings page?

Generally you either set the VLAN networks in pfSense or set them in Proxmox, but do not do it in both.

What network interfaces have you created for the pfSense VM in the hardware settings page?

Generally you either set the VLAN networks in pfSense or set them in Proxmox, but do not do it in both.
I use this network device:
PCnetworkdevice01.JPG
and also use an un-tagged for internet access.

The VLANs are set in PFSense and I thought what i was doing with Proxmox was just creating bridges/links for devices to connect to the DHCP on their respective networks. I just can't make it MAKE sense to me.

Here's an example of how I have mine set up. I have two onboard NICs on my motherboard (eno1 & eno2) and PCIe card with four NICs (eni1 to eni4)

1714866614107.png

I'm using vmbr0 Linux Bridge on eno1 as the management interface for my Proxmox host. It is assigned an IP on my LAN VLAN.

I've created vmbr1 Linux bridge on bond0 which is LACP bond of eni1 and eni2. It is VLAN aware and I have not assigned any IPs to it from the Proxmox host. I use this interface for all of my guest VMs and LXCs.

I've created vmbr1.30 Linux VLAN for the synchronisation between my Proxmox nodes.

I've created vmbr2 Linux bridge on eni4 which is for my pFsense WAN. It's required to be VLAN aware as my ISP uses VLAN tagging on the connection. I have not assigned any IPs to it from the Proxmox host. I'm not currently using this interface as I'm running my pfsense WAN through a VLAN on my switch to allow me to use High Availability and CARP in pfsense.

I have assigned both vmbr1 and vmbr2 to the pfSense VM
1714867436191.png

I've then set up the various VLANs in pfSense and assigned them to the different interfaces.
1714867664759.png
1714867727749.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!