[SOLVED] VLAN on Linux Bridge does not want to work properly

Jan 6, 2023
Hello all,

I would like to start by saying how great I think Proxmox is and how much I enjoy working with it. However, I'm now facing a problem and absolutely don't know what to do.

Short info about the scenario:
It's about a mini server, it has a physical Ethernet interface called "eno1". This is connected to a Unifi switch and a trunk port. This has native VLAN 1 and outputs tagged VLANS 2 and 3. Now I want the existing Linux bridges to access the individual VLANs:

vmbr2 should be in VLAN 2
vmbr3 should be in VLAN 3

The vmbr0 has the port eno1 assigned.

Whatever I do now, it does not work. I have assigned eno1.2 and eno1.3 as port for vmbr2 and vmbr3 and switched vmbr0 to VLAN-Aware. No chance. Even if a VM sets the vmbr0 with VLAN tag 2 or 3 it does not work.

The VLANs are definitely there and the Unifi switches are configured correctly. Now I've been experimenting and googling myself silly for 8 hours.

I would be extremely grateful for any enlightenment!

Attachments

• Network.png
    Network.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
have You tried the more straightforward method of using your vlan aware vmbr0 for your VM/LXC guest then assigning either vlan 2 or 3 at the vm-hardware- network device or LXC-network levels in the Proxmox webgui?

if vmbr0 is vlan aware, you assign the vlans in that interface. There is no need of creating more interfaces.

Example:
vmbr0.10
vmbr0.20

Here a quick print of mine:
1673023637721.png

Last edited:
Proxmox config is ok, so it must be a switch config problem.
In my Mikrotik switch the port connected to proxmox is configured as member of all vlan's and to receive all traffic (tagged and untagged).

In what way does it 'not work' - are you using DHCP and it doesn't get a lease or are you using static IP addresses?

All that is normally required is to make vmbr0 vlan-aware and then put the relevant vlan tag on the VM config.

Thank you guys. I was worried that I had missed something in the proxmox config. I'll try to swap the switch for another model from another manufacturer.

I have a virtual client that gets a DHCP lease on the same bridge also in VLAN 3. Only the physical PC on another port of the switch (with native access VLAN 3) does not get an IP.

I test and report.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!