VLAN Help

mbiwpeoyc

Mar 19, 2012
VLAN Help (Solved)

I have a fully KVM'd debian installation of my companies product and I need to have multiple VLAN's on it's vmbr interface (in this case vlan 5,9,15). The switch port I'm plugged into has all the vlan's tagged appropriately.

here is my /etc/network/interfaces file:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vlan5
iface vlan5 inet static
address 0.0.0.0
netmask 0.0.0.0
vlan-raw-device eth0

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address a.b.c.d
netmask a.b.c.d
gateway a.b.c.d
bridge_ports eth1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1 <--interface that is on my Virtual Machine
iface vmbr1 inet static
address a.b.c.d
netmask a.b.c.d
bridge_ports eth0 vlan5
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

when I try to ping out from my VM, I get Destination host unreachable, but when I run a tcpdump -i on vmbr1 I see it arping but never getting a response from the destination IP.
Example:
12:38:17.778808 vlan 5, p 0, arp who-has 10.5.0.8 tell 10.5.0.1
My switch lives on 10.5.0.8 so..not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
I actually removed that and I'm having the exact same behavior.

I followed this guide as well and it's still not working: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=1134 so I reverted back to how it was previous to this guide.

/etc/network/interfaces file
auto vlan5
iface vlan5 inet static
address 0.0.0.0
netmask 0.0.0.0
vlan-raw-device eth0

auto vmbr5
iface vmbr5 inet manual
bridge_ports vlan5
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I'm still getting the arp requests as before. The NIC in use here is directly connected to the switch which has the correct vlan's on that port.

I should also post that the guest OS has to have these vlans. We have several VLANs on the guest that are required, I'm just trying to get 5 working at the moment since it's the most crucial.

Last edited:
Why don't you simply use:

auto vmbr5
iface vmbr5 inet manual
bridge_ports eth0.5
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

My switch is physically connected to eth1, and I'm using at the very moment eth1.5 and it's still not working. I'm not convinced it's inside of proxmox however, I think I need to spend some time redoing most of the network on the guest.

My switch is physically connected to eth1, and I'm using at the very moment eth1.5 and it's still not working. I'm not convinced it's inside of proxmox however, I think I need to spend some time redoing most of the network on the guest.
Hi,
i have the config, like Dietmar wrote, running without trouble. And your tcpdump in the first post show that the traffic go out (with the right tag (vlan5)) but no answer came in. So i guess the issue is on the switch-side.
Can you ping an other address in this network? If you assign an ip-adress to vmbr5, can you ping from the host to the network?

Udo

I got it working this time, I had to do some digging on the guest to redo how most of the VLAN's were being handled on the guest itself. For the record, I am using Dietmar's config.

Thank you!

Edit: I was trying to find a way to mark the thread as resolved in the topic but either I am really bad at forums or I lack the permissions.

Edit Edit: Found where to adjust it

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!