VLAN (802.1Q) with Proxmox VE, OPNsense (as a VM in Proxmox), and UniFi systems

tl;dr:
I want to pipe VLANs around my networks, both the physical and virtual sections, to separate things like IoT out.

Some more detail:
I have a network consisting of Proxmox VE containers and VMs (one being OPNsense firewall router), and physical network components such as UniFi switches and APs. I want to have OPNsense handle the bulk of inter-VLAN routing, and want flexibility in whether VMs, containers and physical network equipment has access to a VLAN trunk (with either all or some of VLANs), or just a single VLAN. Not quite sure how to go about this on the Proxmox side (do I have aware bridges, or do I have a virtual NIC per VLAN, or do I use SDN? What are the pros and cons?).

I've read some of the doco - but it gets a little vague when it gets into the realms of selective trunking, and traditional Linux vs. SDN options.

I've read some of the threads here, but they tend to be about purely VM/container scenarios, and perhaps not as much connections out to the physical world.

Lots more detail:
I have Proxmox VE, running a mix of containers and virtual machines, connected through:

VMs:
  • OPNsense (WAN NIC is mapped in via PCI device, LAN out is virtual NIC into LAN proxmox bridge, then proxmox physical NIC)
  • HomeAssistant OS (virtual NIC atm into LAN proxmox bridge)
Containers:
  • tt-rss news reader (virtual NIC)
  • Unifi Controller (virtual NIC)
My initial thoughts are that I'd like to VLAN trunk out of the OPNsense firewall VM, and then:
  • VLAN trunk (incl. VLAN 1 untagged LAN) out of Proxmox physical NIC to appropriately configured switch equipment
  • Selective VLAN trunk into HomeAssistant (LAN + IoT vlans) OR multiple NICs, tapped off specific VLANs from firewall trunk
  • Specific VLANs into certain containers/VMs (say admin only into one, vs. perhaps security NVR into another)
It seems hard to figure out what the best approach is.. eg:
  • Have guest OSs handle all the VLAN tagging
  • Pre-tag guest NICs at hypervisor/host level, requiring a NIC per VLAN
  • If it is possible to mix and match firehose VLAN trunking with more selective VLAN access (following principal of only sending stuff to a guest that it needs)
It seems that some of the documentation suggests whilst a lot of settings can be done in GUI, some customisations are required to network interface, and that there's more than one way to do all this (Guest OS, Proxmox side Linux VLANs, Proxmox SDN). Happy to RTFM or blogs if there's a specific page. I see links above for mention of SDN and what the products do, but not much discussion of scenarios and ideal configurations.

PXL_20240325_040822875.jpg

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!