Virtual network adapter

impire

Jun 10, 2010
Hello,

In other hypervisors like Hyper-V or VMWare, there's an option to create a virtual private NIC so the VMs can communicate with each other, without having to go through the actual physical NIC.

How do I accomplish the same thing in ProxMox? I just want to crate a virtual private adapter but could not find this anywhere in the documentation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Andrew

I think you can:
- create a "local" vmbr in pve manager, not bound to any eth nic on your server
- add virtual nics to your vms bound to the vmbr just created

(i've planned to experiment with this but didn't tried really)

Marco

Hi Marco,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Prior to this post, I've attempted to do this on an existing Windows 2008 R2 VMs. I simply added the virtual adapter and it would not start. I had to go back and change to a physical adapter and it boot up fine. I was assuming my method didn't work and therefore didn't try again.

I've just now tested again by creating new Centos, FreeBSD, and Windows 2008 R2 with the virtual NIC and it seems to work perfectly fine. It must have been a temporary fluke. Thanks again for your quick reply.

Andrew

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!