virt-viwer mega fail on kubuntu 12.04

offerlam

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2012
Denmark
Hi all!

Im trying to spice working so i can view vms console..

I have gotten it working on my windows 7 maschine but not my Kubuntu 12.04.. :(...

Accroding to the poxmox doku the driver should be installed .. I have run apt-get install virt-viewer but the version it installed was a 0.4.something..

How do i do this on my Kubuntu client? im using chrome

THANKS

Casper

Hi all!

Im trying to spice working so i can view vms console..

I have gotten it working on my windows 7 maschine but not my Kubuntu 12.04.. :(...

Accroding to the poxmox doku the driver should be installed .. I have run apt-get install virt-viewer but the version it installed was a 0.4.something..

How do i do this on my Kubuntu client? im using chrome

THANKS

Casper

you need virt-viewer 0.5.6 minimum, to try to find a backported package or update to kutbuntu 13.10

13.10 works here.

Just to note, virt-viewer works and also icedtea browser plugin just from the default repos, great.

so installed my Kubuntu to version 13.10 and indeed it lifted my virt-viewr but only to version 5.4 ...

any ideas?

Last edited:
AH!!

i was only running version 13.04 ...apparently i had to add a repo before my upgrade command would install 13.10... and now my virt-viewer is .0.5.6..

but now i have another problem.. so open the spice file with virt-viewer and when i do this i get this error..

Unable to connect to libvirt with URI [none]

any ideas?

THANKS

Casper

I have the same issue "Unable to connect to libvirt with URI [none]". I am running OpenSuSE 12.3 and installed the following rpm from the factory. The browser is launching using "application/x-virt-viewer".

http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/virt-viewer-0.5.7-4.1.x86_64.rpm

I also tried downloading the spiceproxy file and manually passing it to virt-viewer and remote-viewer.

virt-viewer spiceproxy

virt-viewer < spiceproxy

cat spiceproxy | virt-viewer

remote-viewer spiceproxy

remote-viewer < spiceproxy

cat spiceproxy | remote-viewer

I have not been able to test this on Linux, but in Windows when I access a VM with spice and the virt-viewer/remote-viewer window has focus, even when full screen, alt + tab does not switch apps in the VM. Is this an issue with spice or the setting in proxmox?

Thank you,

Rhongomiant

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!