virt-io driver: which version is best for which OS ?

dea

Renowned Member
Feb 6, 2009
Hi all !

I use a large number of Debian VM (64 bit) on several Proxmox clusters and works very well on virt-io NIC and storage.
The problem is... Windows (I use 2003-2003r2-2008-2008r2).
After several attempts I realized that the very last version of virtio Windows drivers (now 0.1-59) is not the best solution, especially on old Windows server version (2003).
Usually the last driver version works correctly on 2008r2 (nic and storage), on 2008 (the "vista" driver) can generate BSOD, the same behavior on 2003 (xp driver).
Now I use the last version on 2008r2 (nic and storage), the last version for nic and the 0.1-30 for storage on 2008 & 2003, and works fine.

I forgot .. use the very last Proxmox 2.3 version and try 3.0rc2.

There is a recommended virtio driver version ?
Right now I'm trying to understand what is the best solution by tests on different VM and different cluster.

Thanks

Luca

Thanks Tom !

On Windows 2008 (r1 !!!), what is the best version to use?
On Windows 2008r2 I have several installations and the last version is rock solid (on storage), but.. on 2008r1 (vista kernel) I've tried the "-59" and... is not very stable, seems to work but.. I've tried to add an HDD, during Windows partitioning.. BSOD (on "-30" works fine).

This is NOT a Proxmox (qemu) problems.. but virt-io drivers.

Disheartened, I've tried to use SATA mode on storage, and surprisingly is very fast.
But I'm stubborn, if virtio is the best and fast solution, I will try to use that ..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!