virsh list

thoth

Jan 29, 2019
Total n00b (to proxmox, not debian) here. First let me say that it looks like you guys have got some really good choices made here, and the gui is really very nice.

After installing libvirt-clients and trying a virsh list I realize that things are not setup in the usual fashion here in proxmox land as compared to a normal debian KVM install:

https wiki.debian.org KVM <-- I can't post links yet, so thats a work around you'll need to add a colon and some /s for that to work.

is there a cheatsheet that can quickly give me an understanding of what differences I can expect from the above?

```
# virsh list
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
```

```
# apt install libvirt-daemon-system
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
augeas-lenses dns-root-data dnsmasq-base libaugeas0 libnetcf1 libparted2 libpciaccess0 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libvirt-daemon libxml2-utils netcat-openbsd parted policykit-1
Suggested packages:
augeas-doc augeas-tools libparted-dev libparted-i18n numad radvd auditd systemtap pm-utils parted-doc
Recommended packages:
qemu-kvm | qemu
The following packages will be REMOVED:
proxmox-ve pve-manager
```

You cannot install libvirt related package on Proxmox VE.

Why do you want to do this?

Because I've been using KVM on debian for over a decade and would like to check on things from the command line as I'm used to with the tools that I know are going to remain open source and as close to a mainline kernel as possible. I'm setting this proxmox server up for a client who wants me to maintain the machine, but they want a GUI and suggested I put proxmox ontop of what I have been doing for over a decade.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!