Video tutorials for Proxmox VE 2.0

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
Hi all,

I just started to upload the first video tutorials explaining Proxmox VE 2.0.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProxmoxVE

In the first run, I try to show simple operations, not more than 2 or 3 minutes per video.
I need all your feedback and also suggestions for new tutorials.

Thanks for watching!

Good work Martin! And thanks, many of us will appreciate much having this...
feedback/suggestions?
- it would be nice some sort of audio :) if not your own voice explaining, at least some background relaxing music :))
- it would be nice a small introduction quickly explaining concepts showed in the video, like a small slideshow or so
- it would be nice some graphical highligthing of key ui areas used in the video, those you actually "hint" only with mouse cursor

but, also some questions:
- pve 2 beta is virtualized in the video, it seems: which kind of virtual environement is? pve itself?
- virtualized pve is openvz-only, isn't it? if yes, how can you plan to "demo" kvm features?
- it seems that the multi select combo box for selecting (scheduled backup) days does not have a "every day" setting, but it already has a weekday selected, and you have to select all 7 days in that case, unlike the storage node selection one, in another video (nfs storage), that shows "all (no restrictions)" when there's no node selected... i feel it is nicer the "storage" mask way, or not? what you think?

and last: awesome ui, i still have to test out 2.0 beta, but it really look efficient and professional
any way really good work, i'm proud of you guys pve is really exciting!
i'm struggling to make the company i work for to donate, as they benefit of your great efforts!

Thanks, Marco

Good work Martin! And thanks, many of us will appreciate much having this...
feedback/suggestions?
- it would be nice some sort of audio :) if not your own voice explaining, at least some background relaxing music :))

just uploaded one with audio/video!

- it would be nice a small introduction quickly explaining concepts showed in the video, like a small slideshow or so
- it would be nice some graphical highligthing of key ui areas used in the video, those you actually "hint" only with mouse cursor

there are some ways to highlight, but I do not like too many visual effects - with the audio we have also the mouse clicks, so its better!?

but, also some questions:
- pve 2 beta is virtualized in the video, it seems: which kind of virtual environement is? pve itself?
yes, the bar-metal installation video is done on Proxmox VE, as KVM guest.

- virtualized pve is openvz-only, isn't it? if yes, how can you plan to "demo" kvm features?
ongoing, see the first KVM video from today.

- it seems that the multi select combo box for selecting (scheduled backup) days does not have a "every day" setting, but it already has a weekday selected, and you have to select all 7 days in that case, unlike the storage node selection one, in another video (nfs storage), that shows "all (no restrictions)" when there's no node selected... i feel it is nicer the "storage" mask way, or not? what you think?
not that important but maybe we can improve that. so far its fully functional, you just have to select all days.

and last: awesome ui, i still have to test out 2.0 beta, but it really look efficient and professional
any way really good work, i'm proud of you guys pve is really exciting!
i'm struggling to make the company i work for to donate, as they benefit of your great efforts!

Thanks, Marco

oh, so much better! :-D
yes, i think with your voice comment anything is now clear enough...

nice today's video, the new gui is really great!

i didn't see anything related to the video during vm creation, but i see it as an option, later, i guess one can change that later.

Thanks, Marco

Thanks Martin. These will be helpful.

In the past, PROXMOX has concentrated its KVM on Microsoft (servers). I thnik this a good help.

BUT, I have been having problems finding a working KVM that will boot an X-Linux system. Is there a write up or a video on how to do this.

I have asked about a sample showing this in the past.
Any one of the top 5 would do if you focus on the servers which have an X-desktop component. Or maybe a very simple X-system like Puppy Linux which does not tax processor,RAM, or disk. Any X-Linux would be a help.

Currently, I have not found any Proxmox demo or document that shows a Linux ISO or CD building and booting to an X-Desktop in a proxmox management console in the same way we see the demo showing Microsoft booting in a proxmox console. Still waiting for a KVM example of this.

Thanks in advance for any Guidance provided.

Last edited:
so you want something like this: "Install Linux as KVM guest on Proxmox VE, using virtio"

Which Distri should I use, I would prefer one of the top 3 desktop distri´s.

some more suggestions:

+1 for a tutorial on installing Solaris/Openindiana (OI v151a preferred)
+1 for a tut on PCIe passtrough, i.e. for a NIC or HBA

yes, I am selfish and I admit it :D

Last edited:
I really like to see how you install a gateway like ClearOS Enterprise in KVM. How this is done with the NIC's (secure) and how you can add complete HDD's to a VM.

Audio is really a nice addition. Don't take me wrong, but when you speak you seem often "tired", like you were presenting the most boring thing on the world. Probably for you is so (don't dare imaging how many times you have created a VM!) , but you really should try to have a more happy, fun and joy tone. Just a "marketing" suggestion :)
I'm just now trying 2.0 beta3 using the second hd of my children PC and seems really a big step forward, my compliments.

i don't think that "appearing happy" is a must here: it's not a commercial advertising :-D
i think that the most important things are:
- not to be boring (great to see you in video, martin! it feels more... personal)
- voice is great, but.. a bit louder perhaps, @martin?
- completely explain the concepts
- i think most people would love to have a short theorical intro to what you're showing (eg: what's fencing? what's HA? what is virtio?, and so on...)

but anything is good, just suggestions...

Marco

It would be nice if you could explain your reasoning behind your selections. Especially for more obscure ones, like virtio/bus types/cache/cpu type etc. Without explanations, I'd prefer reading the manuals; with explanations I could decide if your decision is valid for me too. That could be valuable and really save time.

if you explain everything the video will take much too long and no one will watch it - I assume the goal is to show the capabilities, its no replacement for reading the docs.

+1 for a tut on PCIe passtrough, i.e. for a NIC or HBA

I'd like to see that too - while I do actually have it working on 1.9, it seems many people want to know how to do this.
That said, I think this topic would be best left until 2.0 is actually released ;)

- voice is great, but.. a bit louder perhaps, @martin?

I actually was going to say the same thing. Running a "normalize" on the audio might help. But there is an echo which won't help.

if you explain everything the video will take much too long and no one will watch it - I assume the goal is to show the capabilities, its no replacement for reading the docs.

I agree - the information would also be highly duplicated across different videos then too. It would be nice to see some "technical" videos though that explain the reasons certain things are done in other videos... eg a video on why virtio is used and what benefits it has would be good.

Hi martin,
i just saw this video you did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUxrdTvaQvU&feature=plcp
it seemed to me that the HD was created on a lvm/iscsi storage type, but you could select image type.
on 2.1 (as on old 1.x) i get only RAW (field is greyed as soon as i choose lvm/scsi storage), and always thought that was the only choice with lvm/iscsi

from the video i could not see that storage details, so what's happening in the video?
i am obviously sure that i missed something :D but what?

Thanks, and btw thanks again for every video & all.
Marco

if you use block storages like LVM volumes directly, there is no image type. therefore we do not allow a selection (this was just a small but in the beta version).

if you use block storages like LVM volumes directly, there is no image type. therefore we do not allow a selection (this was just a small but in the beta version).

yes i know that. now i still don't get if in the video it was
- a ui glitch that showed image types when only RAW would work
- a lvm over iscsi storage created with "use LUN directly" (for iscsi target) enabled?

Thanks, Marco

Please add a video tutorial about pci passthrough, the wiki page only shows the kernel parameters and not how to assign the devices to a vm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!