Video problem windows guest

htjioe

Jul 2, 2009
Hi all,

Somebody have the experience with windows guest on proxmox VE 1.3?
I installed a couple time diversity of windows version from vista, 2003 server and 2008 server, but all give the same result.
During installation everything looks fine but after a reboot I get either back screen or garbage screen...
Try to fix using standard VGA option but it didn't help much.

Can somebody share his/her experience with me?

Thanks in advance.

H2T

Hi all,

Somebody have the experience with windows guest on proxmox VE 1.3?
I installed a couple time diversity of windows version from vista, 2003 server and 2008 server, but all give the same result.
During installation everything looks fine but after a reboot I get either back screen or garbage screen...
Try to fix using standard VGA option but it didn't help much.

Can somebody share his/her experience with me?

Thanks in advance.

H2T

windows works great on 1.3 using the default graphic, e1000 or rtl network and IDE as block driver. (xp, vista, win2008, win2003, 32 and 64 bit ....) - pls give more details.

• make sure you use the latest version, run apt-get update and upgrade
  • post your /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf file of a windows guest
  • your hardware?

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
Yes I was quit surprise regarding the video problem, but have tried to install win 2008 srv en vista. Both the same behavior.

Today I have tried to use win 2003 srv and it looks better.
So what I have notice is that in win 2003 the default graphic hardware is recognized by the guest system. But it is not on win 2008 or vista.

my hardware:
- CPU: Intel Core 2 DUO
- memory: 8Gb
- Disk: 160 Gb
- Video card: ATI Tech RV530 (Radeon X1600), but under proxmox I can choose between default, standaard vga and Cirrus Login GC5446

I have done the update from the beginning on. At least my package software is:
- pve-manager/1.3/4023
- kernel version: 2.6.24-7-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 2 08:00:29 CEST 2009

The guest conf file:
name: win2008
ide2: MS_Win2008_SP2.iso,media=cdrom
smp: 1
bootdisk: ide0
ide0: vm-103-disk.qcow2
ostype: w2k8
memory: 512
vlan0: rtl8139=6A:E7:9D:A5:8D:04
boot: cd
freeze: 0
cpuunits: 1000
acpi: 1
kvm: 1

Myabe I need to download the specific driver for the vista/2008 for cirrus logic. Due to the fact that 2003 recognized the hardware automatically.

Any idea??

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

H2T

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
Yes I was quit surprise regarding the video problem, but have tried to install win 2008 srv en vista. Both the same behavior.

Today I have tried to use win 2003 srv and it looks better.
So what I have notice is that in win 2003 the default graphic hardware is recognized by the guest system. But it is not on win 2008 or vista.

my hardware:
- CPU: Intel Core 2 DUO
- memory: 8Gb
- Disk: 160 Gb
- Video card: ATI Tech RV530 (Radeon X1600), but under proxmox I can choose between default, standaard vga and Cirrus Login GC5446

I have done the update from the beginning on. At least my package software is:
- pve-manager/1.3/4023
- kernel version: 2.6.24-7-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 2 08:00:29 CEST 2009

The guest conf file:
name: win2008
ide2: MS_Win2008_SP2.iso,media=cdrom
smp: 1
bootdisk: ide0
ide0: vm-103-disk.qcow2
ostype: w2k8
memory: 512
vlan0: rtl8139=6A:E7:9D:A5:8D:04
boot: cd
freeze: 0
cpuunits: 1000
acpi: 1
kvm: 1

Myabe I need to download the specific driver for the vista/2008 for cirrus logic. Due to the fact that 2003 recognized the hardware automatically.

Any idea??

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

H2T

looks OK. I installed a lot of vistas, win7 and win2008 the last weeks on different hosts without any issues, using the same settings.

not really an idea, but try this:
http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8824#poststop

and try another hardware if available.

Hi Tom,

Which hardware are your referring here?
Video?

Is Cirrus Logic default qemu hardware?
Can I change that?

Regards,

H2T

Cirrus Logic is default.

You can change this to "Standard VGA" on the web interface (poweroff, start again - reboot is not enough), but only necessary if you need more than 1280x1024.

use the latest version of Proxmox VE - works for without any issues (I used RC of win7)

I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate with SP2 and I get exactly the same type of picture after the third reboot http://yfrog.com/5swin7garbledscreenj

I'm trying to make this installation on a fresh PVE 1.4 install upgrade today (24/11/2009)

Untill the moment, no success...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate with SP2 and I get exactly the same type of picture after the third reboot http://yfrog.com/5swin7garbledscreenj
Untill the moment, no success...

Try another win7 boot image and magically it will work.
In _my_ case the particular win7 version wouldn't work, and a totally other version would boot/install without problems. Maybe the wrong driver included which interacts with kvm ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!