Very pleased with Proxmox VE. Is an Apple Silicon Proxmox host running a macOS VM on the roadmap?

oviano

Oct 8, 2023
Firstly, I'm very pleased with my setup of 3 x Intel NUC nodes in a cluster, running 4 x Windows 11 VMs.

The whole thing is snappy and intuitive. The only time I had to get my hands dirty was configuring NUT. Perhaps that can be added to the GUI sometime? It would be nice to be able to set up a Proxmox Node as either NUT server or NUT client without hacking about with the rather complicated NUT configuration files, at least for a basic setup.

Anyway, I am running Gitea on one VM, TeamCity on another, a Windows build agent on another, and then a fourth VM for other stuff.

Separately from Proxmox I have a Mac Studio, which executes the macOS, iOS, tvOS and Android builds of my projects, via TeamCity.

It would be lovely if one day that could be absorbed into the Proxmox VE environment, and I could run one or more VMs on the Mac Studio and join it to the cluster.

I know some folk have managed to get a macOS VM running inside Proxmox VE, but that is presumably an Intel VM, which Apple are phasing out.

Are we some way off this being possible? Presume we'd first of all need an arm64 version of Proxmox, and one that could run on Mac hardware.

The whole thing is snappy and intuitive.
That I'll agree with you about Proxmox as well as its resilience.

a macOS VM running inside Proxmox VE, but that is presumably an Intel VM, which Apple are phasing out.
Too sensitive for any to respond; however, there is UTM.
arm64 version of Proxmox
That's a possibility...how soon...no one knows...if there is a Pimox running Proxmox on arm, it already happened...even if it's 32bits.

Last edited:

Is an Apple Silicon Proxmox host running a macOS VM on the roadmap?​

There is no working production-ready Linux support for any Apple Silicon. Therefore it is not on the road map for Proxmox. Apple Silicon is also a nieche market compared to the arm server market.

There is no working production-ready Linux support for any Apple Silicon. Therefore it is not on the road map for Proxmox. Apple Silicon is also a nieche market compared to the arm server market.
Thanks, makes sense.

That I'll agree with you about Proxmox as well as its resilience.

Too sensitive for any to respond; however, there is UTM.

Yep, I was reading about that the other day. Then of course Parallels and VMware Fusion, so there are some good Type-2 options for sure.

That's a possibility...how soon...no one knows...if there is a Pimox running Proxmox on arm, it already happened...even if it's 32bits.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!