VDI solution for Proxmox?

Funar

Oct 8, 2021
I posted this over on /r/Proxmox as well.

The organization I work at where I'm the Director of IT is heavily invested in VMware Horizon View - we have 14 Dell servers with dual EPYC CPUs and 3 datacenter class Nvidia GPUs with GRID vGPU licenses in each server. We host, on average, 200 simultaneous VDI sessions.

We license the VDI cluster using VMware's previous "desktop host" licenses. Broadcom reached out to us about license renewals and came back with a quote that was SIX TIMES higher than last year. Plus, with their recent announcement concerning Horizon's future (or lack thereof), we're looking for other options.

Our primary server virtualization platform has been on Proxmox for about 5 years now with CEPH backend storage (we love 45Drives too). Are there any realistic options for VDI on Proxmox available that supports HTML5-based connectivity to GPU powered virtual desktops?

We have the budget...just not at a 6x premium...insanity.

KASM Workspaces aka kasmweb.com has been on my to-do list to experiment with for a long time.
The free version is limited to five users for experimentation purposes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!