V2P Virtual to Physical Migration

mazer9

Oct 25, 2010
The Proxmox Wiki provides an excellent tutorial on migrating varying types of physical machines to virtual. Is their any such documentation on converting virtual to physical? Is it just a matter of running a tool like ghost and insuring that all drivers are available for the new hardware? Any insight would be appreciated.

methods like ' using clonezilla' can also be use for P2P, or V2P. you just need to make sure you got all drivers. Easy for Linux, harder for Windows.

I guess I will treat it just like any migration to dissimilar hardware.

Thanks.

It's a 2003 Server, but it's nice to know that 2008 makes the process a bit easier.

Thanks.

I was able to use Clonezilla to clone the image successfully. The Windows boot screen would then appear for a few seconds then the computer would reboot. I then did a repair on the installation using the Windows 2003 disc. I then got it to successfully boot at which point I updated the hardware drivers and it now appears to be functioning correctly.

Thanks.

did you apply the mergeide.reg before you did the migration?

No I did not. I thought that was applicable when going from P2V. Perhaps that would have allowed the computer to boot directly after performing the clone?

this registry hack enables the default IDE drivers. if you do not do this, the migrated machine have no IDE disk drivers and ends up with a BSOD - "inaccessible boot device" (and depending on your windows config it reboots immediately in a loop)

I see. That advice worked great while performing some P2V migrations. I will remember to do it if I ever have to perform another V2P migration.

Thanks.

How to convert or migrate OVZ container to KVM container. Guest OS - Linux

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!