using/passing zfs storage to virtual machines.

rcd

Jul 12, 2019
So, I create an encrypted+compressed pool, secdata. I used pvesm to add it as a zfspool, so now I see it with pvesm status:

Code:
root@pve3:~# pvesm status
Name             Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
secdata       zfspool     active     14354464013             178     14354463834    0.00%

root@pve3:~# zfs list
NAME           USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
poolz/secdata  179K  13.4T   179K  /poolz/secdata

From a running VM, if I "add disk" I can see this volume, but if I add it, it turns up as a drive on the VM, here /dev/sdc, so I have to create a new filesystem on it etc.

From the hyperviser I can go directly to /poolz/vmdata and store files, so isn't there a way to pass this through directly to the VM, and avoid another level of partitioning/filesystems with all the overhead and inconvenience this carries?

Hope this makes sense, otherwise let me know...

For LXC containers it seems possible to bind mount a pool, (pct set CTID -mp0 /poolz/secdata,mp=/secdata) but for QEMU the only way to avoid having to duplicate filesystems would be to NFS share the pool.

It doesn't seem very practical. How are peeps setting up VM/CT as NAS with a large part of ZFS used for data?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!