Using NTFS hard drive from Windows Server

maudy5

Oct 23, 2021
Hi, I changed hypervisors from Windows Server DC to Proxmox and the previous hard drives were all backed up with the ntfs file system.
I formatted the main drive to use proxmox, but I can't access the other hard drives. They show up in the storage, but I don't see where I can add it to a VM or even access the files there. Do I have to format them to a linux file system to access? Because I would need to back them up first. Or maybe switch back to windows DC to back up first.

Does anyone have any ideas?

You first need to install the ntfs-3g (apt update && apt install ntfs-3g) package so Linux is able to use NTFS. For backups you could then use the mount command to mount the NTFS partition (for example mount -t ntfs /dev/sdX /mnt/ntfsdisk).
If you want to passthrough the Disk to your Win VM you can do it like described here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)
But keep in mind that this is no physical passthrough and that disk is still virtualized and passing it through while being mounted on the host will corrupt its data.

@Dunuin so to clarify, passing the drives directly without mounting them on the Proxmox host is safe ? Im in the same situation, switchting from Windows drives formatet to NTFS and no space or money available to reformat. Also im planning to pass them to Linux VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!