Using different RDX as removable devices with pve and pbs on the same machine

McBane

Dec 17, 2019
Hi,

i am using pve and pbs on the same machine. A backup of the vm is stored by pbs on an internal hdd.
Now i want to use different RDX as an offsite backup.
I added a datastore (/mnt/rdx), and i added a syncjob from localhost to rdx-datastore
I wrote a script doing the following:
- stop proxmox-backup and proxmox-backup-proxy
- mount the rdx to /mnt/rdx
- test if mount correctly
- start proxmox-backup and proxmox-backup-proxy
- start the sync
- umount the rdx to /mnt/rdx

Works fine with the first rdx, if you start the first sync to the second rdx an error occured (missing .chunk files on datastore)
I understand the error and it's logical, because pbs assumes that .chunks is already present on /mnt/rdx

So my two possible solutions:
1. I do a inital copy of .chunks of the internal hdd to each rdx
2. I create different datastores for each rdx, /mnt/rdx1, /mnt/rdx2 ....

Can anyone tell me, if solution 1 works correctly. Or ist solution 2 the way to go.
Waht happens during boot when i create multiple datastores which are not present?

Thanks for your time and effort!

Solution one is the best way to go but you have to set the datastore in maintenance mode, before you stop the services and unmount the drive.
Just create a datastore on every empty RDX and remove the datastore again (without removing data). You don't need different mount points for this.
I hope you don't use HDDs... https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/rdx-support-in-pbs.88544/

Hi,

i am using pve and pbs on the same machine. A backup of the vm is stored by pbs on an internal hdd.
Now i want to use different RDX as an offsite backup.
I added a datastore (/mnt/rdx), and i added a syncjob from localhost to rdx-datastore
I wrote a script doing the following:
- mount the rdx to /mnt/rdx
- test if mount correctly
- start the sync
- umount the rdx to /mnt/rdx

Works fine with the first rdx, if you start the first sync to the second rdx an error occured (missing .chunk files on datastore)
I understand the error and it's logical, because pbs assumes that .chunks is already present on /mnt/rdx

So my two possible solutions:
1. I do a inital copy of .chunks of the internal hdd to each rdx
2. I create different datastores for each rdx, /mnt/rdx1, /mnt/rdx2 ....

Can anyone tell me, if solution 1 works correctly. Or ist solution 2 the way to go.
Waht happens during boot when i create multiple datastores which are not present?

Thanks for your time and effort!
Did you get this working? I'm just starting down this exact path now. If you wouldn't mind sharing your script I'm sure it would give me a running start. Thanks.

Hi,

see attached file.
Hope it helps you.

Regards

Attachments

• rdxsync.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 15

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!