Use SAN to create shared storage.

gutter007

May 1, 2012
I currently have two servers hooked up to a SAN. Here is my storage configuration.

Code:
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir
    maxfiles 0

iscsi: dii_san1_md3200
    target iqn.1984-05.com.dell:powervault.md3200i.690b11c0000ce47900000000508ea061
    portal 192.168.130.101
    content none

lvm: dii_san1_lun0
    vgname dii_san1_lun0
    base dii_san1_md3200:0.0.0.scsi-dii_lun1
    shared
    content images

lvm: dii_san1_lun1
    vgname dii_san1_lun1
    base dii_san1_md3200:0.0.1.scsi-dii_lun2
    shared
    content images

I have multiple kvms running, and I'm able to live migrate and everything. I'm very happy with the setup.

We would like to also use a section of the SAN as a shared storage drive, the individual vms could connect to directly. The thought is that many of our servers could connect to it, similar to an nfs share, but hopefully faster.

Is this a bad idea?, and if not, what would be the best way to configure it?

thanks.
myles.

Sorry, I was confused. It seems MD3200 is an iSCSI SAN only so no filler functionality over NFS or CIFS. Then your best option, and which is also supported in Proxmox, is to create a GFS shared storage ontop off either a direct LUN or ontop LVM over LUN's. Choose direct LUN for speed and LVM for flexibility.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!