cooltronic

Aug 15, 2021
This is my first post on this forum.
I have a strange problem with the USB2 device.
When it is connected to an ARM Raspberry Pi 4B system it is working without problems.
I have a DELL 7010 with an i5-3570S computer, when I'm connecting the device to this computer the DVB-S2 USB tuner is not working properly.
I tried to disable the USB3 switch, nothing works. The device is properly recognized but the DVB--S2 has many errors, when I'm connecting to Raspberry Pi there were no continuity errors on tvheadend. The DVB-S2 tuner is not showing a Live TV, because the signal is bad.
I used multiple Debian virtual machines with the same kernel (and older) bullseye and buster version and patched drivers like on Raspberry. Is it possible the cause of problems is the controller on the Dell machine or the USB stack which could be modified on proxmox?

Last edited:
If you are using USB passthrough, the overhead might reduce the available bandwidth to a point that you get dropped frames. Sometimes enabling the usb3 option helps. Otherwise, you could try PCI passthrough of an entire USB controller, which is more efficient (if your hardware supports passthrough of that device).
Alternativelty, pass the device via /dev/dvb/ to a Linux container (if the recording software can be run under Linux, such as MythTV for example).

Did you tried it with another USB Port? Or tried it with an active USB hub?
Yes, I tried all ports, but DVB-S2 tuner has external power. I try to PCI passthrough the USB controller, this device has problems with Intel-based USB3 controllers on Windows 10, maybe on Linux, this problem is also active. But I can watch TV but it has many MPEG4 artifacts.
How to passthrough the USB Hub, only connect PCI Intel USB controller to VM?

Yes, I tried all ports, but DVB-S2 tuner has external power. I try to PCI passthrough the USB controller, this device has problems with Intel-based USB3 controllers on Windows 10, maybe on Linux, this problem is also active. But I can watch TV but it has many MPEG4 artifacts.
How to passthrough the USB Hub, only connect PCI Intel USB controller to VM?
Can be hard to PCI passthrough the onboard USB controller. Most of the time it will be integradted in the mainoards chipset and therefore the USB controller will most likely share the same IOMMU group with some other devices like the soundcard, the SATA controller, the NIC and so on and they can only be passthroughed together. In that case adding a USB PCIe card should work if you got free PCIe slots left that are directly connected to the CPU. But some PCIe slots may also be connected to the chipset and not directly to the CPU, so not all PCIe slots will work with PCI passthrough because they might share the same group with other chipset devices again.

I just dealt with a similar issue with USB and had to get a PCI-e USB card in order to get the bandwidth needed, in my case it was for a USB webcam.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!