USB Keyboard and Audio Issues

HoTsOuRcE

Jan 23, 2022
Hi,

I have a bizzare issue. I set up proxmox with 2 vm (win 10 and xpenology). I managed to passtrough gpu (gtx 750 ti). Everythings seemed fine until I plug my microsoft keyboard (N9Z-00017) and pass it trough. It was hold 10 second before shut it self down and I go to Device Manager and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option. When I do that keyboard works fine but hdmi audio starts crackling and video starts stuttering.

Why is this happennig and what can I do about it?

Last edited:
Has this always been an issue, is this a new VM, or is this new since a Proxmox update? There are currently ongoing kernel issues in Proxmox for both PCI passthrough and USB (though I'm only aware of USB storage devices, but maybe it's all USB?).

But let's pretend this isn't a kernel issue. This actually sounds like an interrupt issue to me- especially with the interaction between USB input (which create interrupts) and known-Windows-GPU interrupt issues. You can read more about that here:

Fixing GPU Passthrough On Windows 10 VM In Proxmox

Read the whole guide, but especially the MSI section.

I wanted to use audio over HDMI, but I struggled with the audio crackling issue, especially when using USB devices and Parsec (low latency desktop streaming software).

I ultimately solved the problem by enabling MSI (Message Signaled Interrupts) on my Nvidia GTX 1070, and I had to do it also for a high-definition audio controller that shared the same vendor ID as the video card (see image below), even if it wasn't presented as an Nvidia device.

hdac.png

I followed the tutorial suggested in the previous post to do it, precisely the section: Enabling MSI (Message Signaled Interrupts) on an Nvidia GPU in Windows 10 to enable MSI on both devices. In Regedit the audio device had multiple keys (sections), and I enabled MSI on all of them:

hdac2.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!