USB dongle does not connect on boot

andreas70

Jan 27, 2010
Hallo!
On one off my W2K8 VMs i need a usb hardlock dongle.
When i conntect the dongle with usb_add host:0529:0001 (in QM Monitor), it works fine. But i don´t get it working automatically after rebooting the VM.

I added hostusb: 0529:0001 to my .conf. After rebooting, the app does not see its dongle, respectively it is not connected in Windows. But in QM Monitor the dongle is connected to the VM, i can see it with info usb:confused:! After removeing it with usb_del and reconnect with usb_add everything is fine again. But i can´t leave it like this, the dongle has to work after reboot automatically.

Any suggestions?

Hi andreas701

Im in the same situation as you. I also have a VM which need a hardlock dongle. Could you explain me how you added it to your VM? Have you found a solution for this Problem since you posted this? Im thankfull for any information.

best regards

Jannis K

Hallo Jannis,

you can connect an usb device to a vm with the usb_add command in QM Monitor, as i wrote in my post. I got no Solution for my problem (usb dongle not connected at boot), so i now use an usb-server(hardware) for my dongle.

Hi Andreas,

i use a USB-Server for a hardware dongle, too. I have the problem, that the USB-Server only work with an old kernel and kvm version.

What for a usb-server do you use?

Regards, valle

Hi Andreas,

same Hardware-USB Server i use here. But i home some touble with it on newer Kernel/KVM Version.

At this time, i use:

Code:
pve-manager: 1.6-5 (pve-manager/1.6/5261)
running kernel: 2.6.18-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.18: 1.6-8
pve-kernel-2.6.18-4-pve: 2.6.18-8
qemu-server: 1.1-22
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-8
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm-2.6.18: 0.9.1-8

I have a Windows XP Machine with a software that need a hardware usb dongle. With this configuration all works fine.

I have 2 other hosts that are running the latest proxmox version. On this machines, the windows xp doesn´t find the usb hardware dongle anymore. Do you have some hints for me to handle this? I have tried the Belkin USB2IP Hardware Server, that runs good too on the above config. Same problem on newer proxmox versions.

Regards, Valle

Hi Andreas!,

ok so i can connect the usb dongle with usb_add. Thanks, but what are the numbers behind "host" or where can i look these up.

regards, Jannis K

Hello Andreas,
does your anywhereusb still work? I just started using proxmox VE and I am having trouble with the Anywhere USB. We are using safenet dongles, and it looks like it's all happy and connected, but our application does not recognize the dongle at all.
I'd be happy for any clues, thanks!

pve-manager: 2.1-1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a)
running kernel: 2.6.32-12-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.1-68
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-12-pve: 2.6.32-68
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-16
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-27
libpve-access-control: 1.0-21
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-18
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

Hello,
we use a SafeNet Sentinel HASP Key, connected to a Win2k8R2 vm with Anywhere USB. SafeNet Driver version 6.22.0.0. Everything works fine.

Hello,

i have had the same problem with a XP VM on newer Kernel as 2.6.18.

I used the latest Sentinel Software. The dongle was connected over the anywhere usb2network hub. The dongle was shown in the CiUSAFE Software but the Serversoftware didn´t find the dongle. All works fine under Kernel 2.6.18 but not on newer ones.

Now i have reinstalled the XP VM and the Serversoftware and all works fine here.

Regards, Valle

Last edited:
Hello,
so i tried using an alternative USB-over-network tool, with the same issue - dongle can be seen by Windows but not by the application.
valshare, so you are using Sentinel driver 7.5.7?
What kernel are you on right now?
Thanks!

I use the latest proxmox kernel 2.32 and the latest sentinel driver. I have checkend all usb2network Solution bevor without success. Only a complet new installation help to solved the problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!