USB Device sharing issues. QEMU[2153]: kvm: libusb_release_interface: -99 [OTHER]

AndrzejL

Nov 8, 2020
Hello,

I am running a fully updated bookworm proxmox.

Recently I started noticing this error:

Code:
Mar 11 13:48:04 andrzejl QEMU[2153]: kvm: libusb_release_interface: -99 [OTHER]
Mar 11 13:48:06 andrzejl QEMU[2425]: kvm: libusb_release_interface: -99 [OTHER]
Mar 11 13:48:07 andrzejl QEMU[2153]: kvm: libusb_release_interface: -99 [OTHER]

Ever since this is happening my MyBook 6TB USB HDD is showing up in my virtual machine just so that it can vanish again.

As in proxmox boots to the pve, I can see that VM is starting. I can see the drive (samba share from the VM) in windows, then the above mentioned error pops up and the drive is no longer visible...

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Cheers.

Andrzej

Is your MyBook 6TB USB HDD maybe going to sleep? I remember this issue from a number of years ago (not in linux). Try possibly changing USB cable/port/no hub, maybe it'll stay awake for you!

Is your MyBook 6TB USB HDD maybe going to sleep? I remember this issue from a number of years ago (not in linux). Try possibly changing USB cable/port/no hub, maybe it'll stay awake for you!

Hey my Dude,

This happens intermittently after the VM is started. Not happened before and its not a new setup. Its happened after one of the recent updates. Suspecting libusb or kvm stuff?

Its not like the drive is not present or asleep. IF the VM is powered off I can mount or fsck the drive in the proxmox server itself. After one of the reboots it actually started working ok in the VM again. Its very odd...

Cheers.

Andrzej

Yes but can you do this after its gone "missing" in the VM?
When it went missing in the VM I was trying to ls the mount point (in the VM) and I got “input / output error” I tried fscking the drive I got “The device is mounted” message. When I tried unmounting the drive I got “device busy” message…

Cheers.

Andrzej

Last edited:
When it went missing in the VM I was trying to ls the mount point and I got “input / output error” I tried fscking the drive I got “The device is mounted” message. When I tried unmounting the drive I got “device busy” message…
So maybe its asleep. I don't know your setup of how you "passed" the USB device to the VM. Neither do I know why you expect it to come back (to host) when the VM is down. Hookscript? Or maybe you did something else (elaborate udev rules?).
Anyway what happens, if after it goes "down" you try unplugging and plugging device back in. See if it comes up. (WARNING: Beware of data-corruption!)

So maybe its asleep. I don't know your setup of how you "passed" the USB device to the VM. Neither do I know why you expect it to come back (to host) when the VM is down. Hookscript? Or maybe you did something else (elaborate udev rules?).
Anyway what happens, if after it goes "down" you try unplugging and plugging device back in. See if it comes up. (WARNING: Beware of data-corruption!)
I don't believe it was asleep but next time it does happen (its not happening every time) I will double-check.

I am sending the entire port to the VM.

1710181891075.png

When the VM is powered off the USB port is reverted to the proxmox server.

The drive is backed up. Next time it fails I will unplug it and plug it back in.

To be honest I am not sure how to troubleshoot this except to reboot and see / check for errors. Unplug and re-plug and reboot the vm...

USB devices have been acted weird recently ie. port changed from lets say 2-1.1 to 1-1.1 on reboot. Made the VM think that the device was unplugged. Odd.

Cheers.

Andrzej

USB devices have been acted weird recently ie. port changed from lets say 2-1.1 to 1-1.1 on reboot. Made the VM think that the device was unplugged. Odd.
I've never dabbled in USB passthrough, for this reason. Linux OS can assign different naming conventions upon each boot.

When the VM is powered off the USB port is reverted to the proxmox server.
I wasn't aware this would happen naturally with USB passthrough. I learn something everyday. I guess it has todo with iommu groups etc.

I've never dabbled in USB passthrough, for this reason. Linux OS can assign different naming conventions upon each boot.

I wasn't aware this would happen naturally with USB passthrough. I learn something everyday. I guess it has todo with iommu groups etc.

That first bit only started happening to me very recently after years of working correctly and assigning the same port number to the same USB port during each reboot. Its annoying when all Your USB devices fail to show up in Your VMs upon reboot because server decided to asign different port numbers to all the usb ports. It can be solved by using vendor ID as a passthrough criteria rather than port number but then if You want to assign a specific usb port to a VM so that You can use multiple usb devices (as in unplug one, plug in the other) you're attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis. And not in a good way.

I don't understand how the usb reverting to the proxmox server works. Its just something I use... but I am glad its there ;)

Kindest regards.

Andrzej

Last edited:
Reactions: gfngfn256

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!