USB Connection lost

bbuster

Apr 20, 2023
I have a proxmox container running Fhem (to control my thermostat valves).
U used this: https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/ (Fhem)

The container is Privileged and the connected usb device is found (to control the thermostats)

When i type in this command, i get the following result:

Bash:
ls -l /dev/serial/by-id
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb  9 09:05 usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0

The usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0 is the device I need and the connection works.
But i noticed 2 times already after some time (don't know exactly how long, the device disconnects.

When i run the command i only get total 0 as a result

After rebooting the container it works again (without reconnecting the usb cable itself).
How can i fix this?
Or is there a command to restart the usb service or something?
I can make a crontab that if the connection is lost i can restart the usb service if that helps

Thank you

Check with journalctl if there are some messages around the time you lose the connection. It does happen that USB devices and controllers are not fully compatible and maybe on the them enters low-power sleep and does not wake up properly? A common work-around is to put a (powered) USB hub in between.
EDIT: This is not Proxmox specific, so other Linux guides or work-around found on the internet might also work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!