Urgent question re vlan setup

blackpaw

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2013
We run all our windows dev, test and production servers on our proxmox servers, weekly onsite DR backups and monthly offsite DR backups.

And we just got hammered with a root kit virus that is proving extremely difficult to remove.

I'm proposing that we restore one by one from last month DR backups to a vlan tag of 1, check thats its clear, then change it to a vlan tag of 2.

As you may have guessed, I'm a complete novice when it comes to stuff like vlans.

- Is it sufficient to just set the vlan for a VM via the proxmox network device gui?

- will that isolate it from the main (infected) network?

- can I keep the same subnet? (192.168.5.0)

- Will the VM's be able to access the outside internet?

Thanks.

A VLAN usually indicates separate subnets, but if you have no routing in place to confuse the networks, then you should be fine with using the same subnet on another VLAN

How did you find out that you had a virus? What were the symptoms? What tools did you use to investigate/clean?
which virus was it?

- Is it sufficient to just set the vlan for a VM via the proxmox network device gui?
yes

- will that isolate it from the main (infected) network?
yes

- can I keep the same subnet? (192.168.5.0)
- Will the VM's be able to access the outside internet?
you can keep the same subnet, but you need a gateway in the same vlan/subnet.

How did you find out that you had a virus? What were the symptoms? What tools did you use to investigate/clean?
which virus was it?

Weird crap on our intranet. The big give away was when every mp3 file on my pc was replaced with a executable - <Name>.mp3.exe :) There was a possible sapm bot on our net too.

Tools - we used Windows Defendor offline, Malware bytes, AVG, RougeKiller, eset, rkill, ComboFix, adwcleaner and jrt. I think they mostly identified the same virus under different names - Win32/Nabucur.gen!A, Win/Cryptor, Trojan.Agent.MSDGen, Win32/Injector.BQEU.

I've spent all of today trying to clean our AD Server with some professional help. In the end I rolled it back to a DR backup from last month, it was the only way to be confident. I suspect all our VM's will have to be rolled back. God knows what we will do with the physical desktops - there's serious talk about wiping them and installing Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but how does that work? how does the gateway access the internet?

You're gateway itself will need to have a gateway to the internet, usually a firewall or modem like device. The gateway serves as a bridge between that device and your private network, allowing you to use NAT, etc.

Example:

>>>>>>Vlan1
Internet >>>>Gateway Vlan1and2>>>
>>>>>>Vlan2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!