uptime problem (the server reboots from within the os but proxmox does not get this information.)

omerusta37

May 10, 2023
Hello there,

The server is restarted from within the os but proxmox cannot see this information.

uptime is 8 days in server but 37 days in proxmox. Proxmox does not know about the reboot.

Why do you think that is?

1695295679968.png1695295776055.png

Attachments

• 1695295689538.png
    1695295689538.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
I don't think Proxmox tries to keep track of what happens inside the VM. The virtual machine (kvm-process on the Proxmox host) has been running continuously, whether the OS inside it booted, rebooted, crashed or whatever.

This is pretty standard for hypervisors, both Hyper-V and VMware are the same unless you use their guest services to ask the OS to reboot, and then it gets logged. I'm not sure the technicalties as to why it cannot detect the BIOS/UEFI boot happening but that's the way it is.

To monitor VM reboots you normally need to use something like Zabbix or other software that interrogates the OS uptime value of the VM.

I don't think Proxmox tries to keep track of what happens inside the VM. The virtual machine (kvm-process on the Proxmox host) has been running continuously, whether the OS inside it booted, rebooted, crashed or whatever.
Thank you for answer,

Actually when i manually reboot inside the vm . Time resets. this happened when i was migrating the disks to another storage. I had vmware tools inside the vm that caused the crash restart.
1695301717918.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!