Upgrading PVE 7.4 from Debian 11 (Bullseye) to 12 (Bookworm) possible?

pschneider1968

Nov 2, 2022
Bavaria, Germany
linktr.ee
Hi there,

I am currently running PVE 7.4 (Manager version pve-manager/7.4-13/46c37d9c) with Kernel Linux 6.2.11-2-pve on two boxes, one big and one small, in an advanced homelab type of setup. Everything is running great and smoothly, with lots of VM and some LXC containers.

I would like to know whether it is possible, recommend, or supported to upgrade the underlying Debian from 11 to 12 Bookworm, as outline in the Debian release notes? Or will this break things?

I have already updated most of my Debian VMs and LXC containers without any issues so far, and would like to be able to do this also on the Hypervisor host.

One of this hosts I also use as a desktop machine via XRDP, and it works fine. Will an upgrade have any issues here?

Thanks for any input!

Regards
Peter

Why don't you just wait to update to proxmox 8, should not be all that long, a few weeks or so, before it's ready with Bookworm as the base.

Reactions: pschneider1968
Yeah, maybe I will just try it and see how far it goes. I think if I make /etc a git repo and push it out somewhere else, and if I have backups of all VMs and containers, I should be safe in case anything goes totally wrong. Correct?

Yeah, maybe I will just try it and see how far it goes. I think if I make /etc a git repo and push it out somewhere else, and if I have backups of all VMs and containers, I should be safe in case anything goes totally wrong. Correct?
Depending on your time-to-recovery-requirements, yes. I can recommend having ZFS for your root filesystem to have snapshots in order to have a faster recovery time.

I don't use ZFS. I have two single 256 GB SSDs for OS and VM OS ISO images, and I have two RAID Arrays, one RAID1 for VM System Disks with two 1 TB SSDs, and one RAID5 for VM Data Disks with six 1TB HDDs on an Adaptec HW RAID controller with BBU, so 4 SSDs and 6 HDDs in total. I/O Performance is nice. On the RAID arrays, I have LVM thin pools.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!