Upgrading OS of containers

giovvv

Aug 4, 2018
I have some proxmox containers running Debian 10, on a machine with PVE 6.4.

Now I need to upgrade those to Debian 11 and then 12 (because I need certain recent packages). Can I do it with PVE 6.4? I ask because I know containers use the host's kernel, so I am not sure how this works.

Or should I necessarily upgrade PVE first?

(Yes, I know that PVE 6.4 is soon to be EOL and should be upgraded too, but I would defer that operation for a little time if it is possible).

Thanks

PVE 6.4 is not soon to be EOL, it has been EOL for already a year now! The latest PVE 7.4 does support Debian 12 containers but 6.4 does not, and I'm not sure if it supports Debian 11 containers. Does it provide a Debian 11 template? Then it probably does. Always make a backup before upgrading.

Reactions: giovvv
Whoa! I misread the warning in the UI. I am off by one year :)

If I upgrade PVE, after that will I be able to boot the old containers to launch the debian upgrade?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!