Upgrading Dell R720 with 2x NVMe drives that are on PCIe cards

mishanw

Feb 2, 2024
Hi Everyone.

I recently purchased 2x NVMe drives that are on PCIe cards. I was running Proxmox on an SSD that I had mounted to the dell using the DVD drive Sata Connection using a caddy. I wanted to ensure there was some redundancy on the Proxmox and system drives and opted to get 2x PCIE cards to house 2x NVMe SSD's

How do I go about setting up mirroring on the two SSD's and then migrate everything I have currently running?

Thank you in advance.

Is the installation based on LVM2 or ZFS?

With LVM2 you could create a mdadm RAID1 mirror between these NVMe devices and the add that as PV to the VG and use pvmove to move over all the LVs. Then make the NVMe devices bootable and remove the old SSD from the VG.

Is the installation based on LVM2 or ZFS?

With LVM2 you could create a mdadm RAID1 mirror between these NVMe devices and the add that as PV to the VG and use pvmove to move over all the LVs. Then make the NVMe devices bootable and remove the old SSD from the VG.
I used the ZFS RAID1 option during setup. Not sure what LVM2 is? The install goes through, however, doesn't boot.

The Dell R720 isn't able to boot from NVMe!! You need those boot files on SAS/SATA or USB...

The Dell R720 isn't able to boot from NVMe!! You need those boot files on SAS/SATA or USB...
So this was a bad idea? I was hoping this would provide a good redundant system boot volume. Since I'm passing the HBA directly to TrueNAS. I did manage to get it to boot from one of the drives, I just can't do mirrored. While trying to do this, I also messed up my primary boot drive, Had to reinstall proxmox and restored the backup VM and LXC. But that not working: I realized I had forgotten to backup the actual proxmox node entirely

I get the following, not sure why.

Task viewer: CT 100 - Start

OutputStatus

Stop

Download
netdev_configure_server_veth: 662 Operation not supported - Failed to create veth pair "veth100i0" and "vethAWsqOv"
lxc_create_network_priv: 3427 Operation not supported - Failed to create network device
lxc_spawn: 1840 Failed to create the network
TASK ERROR: startup for container '100' failed

Task viewer: VM 102 - Start

OutputStatus

Stop

Download
TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!