Upgraded one node from 7.4 to 8 and Ceph broke for whole cluster

waynevaghi

Jan 11, 2021
Hi All,

I am not an experienced Linux engineer but this has become my problem to try and fix.
I upgraded one node on a 3 node cluster from 7.4.17 to 8 following this guide:
Upgrade from 7 to 8 - Proxmox VE

The upgrade was only done on one node. I followed all steps in the guide carefully. After rebooting the one node that was upgraded the whole site became unresponsive.
Ceph is not working even though I have 2 nodes up.

Please help me with this issue, we have a virtual router running on here so the site is down while the Proxmox system is down.

Thank you,

Ceph is not working even though I have 2 nodes up.
That's normal because Ceph needs at lest 3 nodes, which means you were running Ceph without any redundancy. That's bad and you probably need to fix this first because doing an in-place major upgrade. I have no experience with this but maybe Ceph needs to be upgraded separately from Proxmox?
Please help me with this issue, we have a virtual router running on here so the site is down while the Proxmox system is down.
Maybe scrap the upgraded node, wipe it, install a fresh Proxmox 7.4 and add it to the cluster. That might give you time to investigate or practice the upgrade on a (virtual) test cluster?
Or maybe use one of your support subscription tickets for professional help, if it is that urgent?

EDIT: Maybe you can copy some error messages or add more details about the problem you got (and at which step) for other knowledgeable people to respond to?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Thank you for the reply.
Because the cluster is down I have to access the site through a 5G device with out of band management to the cluster. So I only have access to the Proxmox cli.
Is it possible to reinstall ceph without losing my configuration?
Or what logs would I need to post here to help see the cause of the issue?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!