[SOLVED] Upgrade PVE in 3 nodes production cluster

bond347

Oct 21, 2022
Hi All,

The procedure on how to upgrade pve 7.2 to 7.3 in a 3 nodes production cluster?

Likewise in VMware, need to mark a node as Maintenance Mode, all the VMs will migrate to other available nodes. Once in Maintenance mode, you can patch or update the ESXi image. Upon upgrade completed, exit node from Maintenance mode. Perform the same on the remaining nodes.

I'm sure most of you had done this exercise and hope someone can share.

The procedure in Proxmox is quite similar:
  • Migrate away all VMs to the other 2 nodes
  • Upgrade the node via apt update && apt dist-upgrade + reboot (so the new kernel gets loaded)
  • Repeat those steps until all the nodes are upgraded
There is no dedicated maintenance mode (yet), so you will have to do the migration manually.

Reactions: bond347
Hi Shanreich,

Thanks for your reply.

Are these executing two commands in one go "apt update && apt dist-upgrade"?

Can i type these commands separately?
1. Enter apt update
2. Once the above command is completed, enter apt dist-upgrade?

Hi Shanreich,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Enter apt update

Hi Shanreich,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Enter apt update

Can i also upgrade proxmox ve via GUI (PVE > Updates > Refresh)?

Hope will get clarification.

1. Enter apt update
Yes, the && executes the second command only if the first one was successful. You can also input them separately. Do note that this is apt dist-upgrade, never do an apt upgrade.

Can i also upgrade proxmox ve via GUI (PVE > Updates > Refresh)?
Yes, the Refresh corresponds to the 'apt update' and the Upgrade button is 'apt dist-upgrade'.

Hi Shanreich, Otto and members,

I have 3 servers. Based on pvecm nodes, Server1 with node ID 1 and the node ID increment for 2nd and 3rd servers.
Is there any sequence to dist-upgrade node ID 1 first, followed by ID 2 & 3? or could start dist-upgrade any nodes in the cluster?

Hi Shanreich, Otto and members,

I have 3 servers. Based on pvecm nodes, Server1 with node ID 1 and the node ID increment for 2nd and 3rd servers.
Is there any sequence to dist-upgrade node ID 1 first, followed by ID 2 & 3? or could start dist-upgrade any nodes in the cluster?

Does not matter with which one you start; all nodes are equal in a PVE-cluster, means there is no master-node or something like that.

One thing to add: If you do not have active subscriptions for the nodes, you need to disable the pve-enterprise repository and add the pve-no-subscription one. See here for a little how to:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/reboot-occurs-randomly.119840/post-520320

Hi Neobin and others,

Thanks for helping and providing guides to perform node upgrades in a cluster.
Appreciate!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!