Upgrade a 4 node cluster from 4.4 to 5.2 with CEPH storage

mjoconr

Renowned Member
Dec 5, 2009
Hi All
Now that Proxmox 4.4 is out of support I need to take the plunge and upgrade to 5.2.

I've read the wiki page on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0 along with the CEPH upgrade https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Jewel_to_Luminous, but I'm still a little unsure of the safes path to take.

1. Can I do the upgrade to Luminous and run that for a while before attempting the 4.x to 5.x upgrade?
2. Which is safest an in-place upgrade or a new install (including having to remove that node from the cluster ?)

Thanks for your comments
Mike

Follow the upgrade notes thoroughly, as PVE 4 is EoL, a complete upgrade is advised.

The update notes do not cover my questions, which is best in place or new install (keeping in mind I would have to remove one node from the cluster) and the notes about the upgrade of CEPH are actually a little light on details.
Example the step heading 'Restart the OSD daemon on all nodes' indicate to restart the OSD's but does not say if I should do with on all the nodes at once or node by node waiting for them to come back up. Logically the second but I'm sure there are other issues I did not notice which could actually be a real problem.

The update notes do not cover my questions, which is best in place or new install (keeping in mind I would have to remove one node from the cluster) and the notes about the upgrade of CEPH are actually a little light on details.
This depends on how you want to do it. The in-place upgrade is tested and usually works without any issue. Less work with migration and running clusters in parallel.

Example the step heading 'Restart the OSD daemon on all nodes' indicate to restart the OSD's but does not say if I should do with on all the nodes at once or node by node waiting for them to come back up. Logically the second but I'm sure there are other issues I did not notice which could actually be a real problem.
I follow the same instructions, when I upgrade a PVE 4.x cluster to 5.x and I don't see unclear points. Please point out which are these and I try to answer those questions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!